cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rtarkanian
Community Member

Students Viewing Submitted Assignments from Classmates

Jump to solution

Original Topic Title: Can anyone tell me how to allow my students access to view other classmates submitted assignments?

I teach in the Kinesiology department.  Weekly, my students submit a summary and review of a fitness workout they have done.  I would like them to be able to browse through eachother's for ideas and motivation.   How do I do this??  Thanks

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Deactivated user​...

Assignments that are submitted to you via your Canvas course are not viewable by other students, so you'd probably have to set up something in your course so that students could post and view student submissions.  The easiest thing I can think of to accomplish this would be to set up a new Discussion Topic in your course where you have your students attach their submission to a reply in that Discussion.  Then, other students can comment and/or ask questions and have focused questions about that document.

Another suggestion I had is that you could take all the submissions you receive via Assignments, create a folder in "Files", and upload the files to that folder for your students.  Then, they could pick and choose which file(s) they wanted to download.  This wouldn't allow them to reply or ask question about the document, though...if that was something you wanted your students to be able to do.

Finally, just so you know, I'm going to shorten the title of your posting and tag your message with keywords.  Doing both of these things will make your topic easier to search for if people have similar questions.  If the shortened topic title doesn't reflect what you are asking, just let me know, and we can change it to something else.

Hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Deactivated user​...

Assignments that are submitted to you via your Canvas course are not viewable by other students, so you'd probably have to set up something in your course so that students could post and view student submissions.  The easiest thing I can think of to accomplish this would be to set up a new Discussion Topic in your course where you have your students attach their submission to a reply in that Discussion.  Then, other students can comment and/or ask questions and have focused questions about that document.

Another suggestion I had is that you could take all the submissions you receive via Assignments, create a folder in "Files", and upload the files to that folder for your students.  Then, they could pick and choose which file(s) they wanted to download.  This wouldn't allow them to reply or ask question about the document, though...if that was something you wanted your students to be able to do.

Finally, just so you know, I'm going to shorten the title of your posting and tag your message with keywords.  Doing both of these things will make your topic easier to search for if people have similar questions.  If the shortened topic title doesn't reflect what you are asking, just let me know, and we can change it to something else.

Hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Technically you could let students view each others assignments via peer review (you would just set it up so each student was reviewing every student in the course. See the following guide for more information - What is a peer review Assignment?

Yet, that seems pretty inefficient for what you want, so even though you could do it, my vote is for what  @chofer ​ outlined above!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Deactivated user, making students' assignment submissions "public" (after they're graded, and of course without grading details visible) is a useful pedagogical tool. I used to work around this by designating a weekly discussion topic specifically for this purpose. In my case, I called it the "Reflections Spotlight," and I'd pick the top three submissions ("top" not necessarily meaning "highest scoring," but rather, the best constructed, most strongly supported, or most provocative pieces) out of 50-100 (depending on my class size that semester), and I invited students to read and comment upon them. I didn't copy and paste the reflections; instead, I transformed my choices into .png files that were harder, although not impossible, to copy.

This is a time-consuming workaround, and it might be more work than you were planning to do. In the meantime, I found this related feature idea, which will open for voting on August 5, 2015, for your consideration:

kedgecomb
Community Champion

I have had other instructors make this same request.  As for now, I always suggest a discussion board where students can attach files for everyone to see!  Smiley Happy