cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patelp3
Community Member

Students can't post to Discussion Board

Jump to solution

The students can't post their answers to the Discussion Board for an introduction. There is no reply button. The dates are set and it is published. But another second part of discussion board looks fine and no issue. Please help me. 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Actually no I didn't think of that! Thank you Ken.

I was hopefully that would've been the culprit but no such luck. There is a section setup in the course, but only one, and that student having the issue is indeed in that section. Just to try it out I did modify the discussion to 'Post to'  'All Sections' and then the named section to try them both out, same thing. 

I know you were referring to the 'Assign' section, though. All of the discussions have 'Assign to' set to Everyone. I had to laugh cause I manually went in and assigned it to the student specifically in addition to 'Everyone' and when I masquerade as him I STILL cannot reply to the discussion.

It is quite baffling!

Will

View solution in original post

lorewap3

As a follow up for my issue, apparently it resolved itself. I'm never happy about things like this, but we tried again yesterday masquerading as the student and now he can reply to all discussions. Whatever it was, it had to be something tied to his account directly. At least that's the only thing I can think of. All the other students could post so it couldn'tve been settings on the discussion itself such as the dates. But I'm at a loss. I know there was a patch over the weekend and while I'm not a fan of blaming patches for random occurrences it's the only thing left I can think of. 

I'm sorry you're still having issues Katherine. If I figure out anymore information on why this occurred I will post here about it.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

patelp3, I would double-check to see if the discussion has somehow become locked from comments. See this guide on information on how this would work and how you could check/fix the issue - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12915-4152123824 

If this isn't the case, then I would double-check the course start date and other course settings (under Settings for the course). We've had issues like this and the problem was that the course hadn't officially started even though it was published.

Hope this helps!

Kona

patelp3
Community Member

Thank you Kona!! It is very helpful! Smiley Happy 

katie_eastin

I have the same issue, but one student can't reply, the rest of the class can reply to the discussion. I'm driving myself nuts trying to find what's wrong. The discussion is open for comments. The discussion and course are published. There are no opening and closing dates on the discussion so it's open indefinitely. She can reply to discussions in other classes but the reply button does not show up for her in one class's discussions. I've mascaraed as her and other students and for the life of me I can't figure this out. 

Any one have any ideas?

lorewap3

I'm having the same issue as  Katherine. I've gone through all the troubleshooting steps she's mentioned but can't figure it out.

1) Rest of class can reply but not this one student

2) No dates are set OR dates are current for discussion in quesiton

3) Discussion/Course is published (other students have replied to it)

4) It hasn't been closed for comments

5) Masqueraded as student who has the issue and other students who haven't and verified this one student can't reply while all others in the class can.

6) Role of the student is the exact same as other students

If anyone knows about this please update the thread!

Thank you!

Will

kblack
Community Champion

lorewap3‌ - I imagine you already checked this, but is the class divided into sections? Did the instructor indeed set the ASSIGN TO (assuming it's graded) to EVERYONE?  I had this happen once in a class where one student was in a cross-listed course, and the instructor set it to the course that everyone else was in rather than the default setting of EVERYONE. 

Actually no I didn't think of that! Thank you Ken.

I was hopefully that would've been the culprit but no such luck. There is a section setup in the course, but only one, and that student having the issue is indeed in that section. Just to try it out I did modify the discussion to 'Post to'  'All Sections' and then the named section to try them both out, same thing. 

I know you were referring to the 'Assign' section, though. All of the discussions have 'Assign to' set to Everyone. I had to laugh cause I manually went in and assigned it to the student specifically in addition to 'Everyone' and when I masquerade as him I STILL cannot reply to the discussion.

It is quite baffling!

Will

katie_eastin

Unfortunately that still doesn't help me. My kid is enrolled in the same section as the other kids "Period 5". The discussion is assigned to period 5, all other kids in her class can still post to the discussion but she still can't 2 weeks later. I have no clue what's going on. She ended up just emailing me her post and I forwarded it to the teacher. Hopefully we can find a solution before the next discussion assignment. 

Any other ideas? I'm really at a complete loss. 

kblack
Community Champion

Wow...baffling indeed. You and  @katie_eastin ‌ should both file a case with Instructure Support if you haven't already.  I'd be curious to hear if there's a solution or just some odd bug.

lorewap3

As a follow up for my issue, apparently it resolved itself. I'm never happy about things like this, but we tried again yesterday masquerading as the student and now he can reply to all discussions. Whatever it was, it had to be something tied to his account directly. At least that's the only thing I can think of. All the other students could post so it couldn'tve been settings on the discussion itself such as the dates. But I'm at a loss. I know there was a patch over the weekend and while I'm not a fan of blaming patches for random occurrences it's the only thing left I can think of. 

I'm sorry you're still having issues Katherine. If I figure out anymore information on why this occurred I will post here about it.