cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kelli_ritter
Community Contributor

Students cannot view images - Faculty can

Jump to solution

We have a master course and several copied courses.

In the Master course, students and faculty can view images in quizzes.

In the copied courses, students cannot view images, faculty can.

Any suggestions????

Kelli

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kelli_ritter
Community Contributor

I received this email earlier:

"I've seen this happen before and re-saving the quiz should be able to show the images. Only new quiz attempts will see the changes. Have you tried re-saving the Quiz on your end to see if this will fix the issue?

Aiona Hernandez
L2 Canvas Support"

It worked.  The problem is that if a student has opened the quiz, they will not see the images after I have saved the files.  But grateful I can fix quizzes in future modules.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@kelli_ritter ​, my first course of action would be to check three things in one of the copied courses (let's call them "child courses"):

1. Have all of the images that reside in the quizzes in the master course been copied over into the child courses? You'd see them in the Files area of the child courses.
  2. Are all of the images in the Files area that are relevant to the quizzes published? Is their access restricted in any way?
  3. Check one of the questions with an image in a child course. To what URL is that image pointing? Is it pointing to a URL for the child course or for the master course?
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Strangely enough, we're having the same problem with one of our Instructors. We (admin and faculty) can see the images on a quiz, but the students can't. I'm not sure if the instructor figured out what the problem was - she was working on it - but I'll check in with her and see what she figured out.

sethgurell
Community Participant

I think stefaniesanders​ hit it. Usually this has been a problem with permissions. The faculty and admin have rights to both the master and child courses so they don't see a problem. Students only have rights to the child course, so they can't see the image.

kelli_ritter
Community Contributor

I received this email earlier:

"I've seen this happen before and re-saving the quiz should be able to show the images. Only new quiz attempts will see the changes. Have you tried re-saving the Quiz on your end to see if this will fix the issue?

Aiona Hernandez
L2 Canvas Support"

It worked.  The problem is that if a student has opened the quiz, they will not see the images after I have saved the files.  But grateful I can fix quizzes in future modules.

View solution in original post

@kelli_ritter ​, thank you for posting this novel solution! If you're inclined to give those students who have already opened the quiz an extra attempt to compensate for the technical issue, you can moderate the quiz (perhaps you already know this): Once I publish my quiz, how do I use the Moderate Quiz page?

No, I did not know that Stefanie.  Thank you!

Hey, you're welcome,  @kelli_ritter ! Smiley Happy

kmatson
Community Participant

I have a quiz and some students can see the image in the questions and some of them can't.

Here is what I have found but can't figure out how or why this happens.

Image one that everyone can see has this image location - https://canvas.uoregon.edu/assessment_questions/2084819/files/2449636/download?verifier=pNiqr896ssc2... 

Image two that only some students can see has this image location - https://canvas.uoregon.edu/courses/49302/files/2402819/preview 

When I embed an image into my quiz I get something like the first one. When I called the faculty and had her re-embed the image she still ends up with the second one.

Why is this happening? We have edited from  both the quiz and the question bank but can't get the image to change.

What are we doing wrong?

Thank you,

Karen

Hey  @kmatson ‌, it sounds like you and the faculty member are adding the image in different ways. Are you each taking the same steps, and if not, what are the steps each of you is taking to add the image. The difference in methods could help provide some insight into why the image is visible to students in one method, but not the other. Sometimes the ease with which you can do something multiple ways (like add an image in the Rich Content Editor) can create other problems.