cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paul_meloccaro
Community Member

Students get error message when submitting to Turnitin

Jump to solution

Three of my students have reported that they were unable to submit Microsoft Word files to Canvas for an assignment that uses Turnitin. When they clicked on the "Load Assignment in a New Window" button, they got this error message: "Turnitin Error / Sorry, we could not process your request. / LIT Error: Could not create user. / email – Sorry, this email already is in use." I even had one of the students log in to Canvas on our classroom computer using his own user name and password as I watched, and I saw him get the error message. The other students in the class did not get the error message and had no problem submitting their papers. I have had no problem sending or receiving e-mail messages with any of my students either through the Canvas Inbox or directly through our college e-mail system, so I know that all of the students' e-mail addresses are valid and working. Any idea what could be causing the error for just those three students?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
dhulsey
Community Champion

If I recall correctly, this is a known bug with a small number of accounts, and you would need to file a support ticket with Turnitin to get the accounts resolved.

One thing to check before doing that is if the students are using their school email accounts  in their Canvas profile. If not, advise the students to change the email address in the profile and see if that works.

I hope that helps, Paul!

View solution in original post

John_Lowe
Community Champion

According to Ryan Miller at TurnItIn:

It seems that when users had an email with mixed case it caused an early validation to fail to find the existing user, and subsequently our code attempted to create the user. A deeper validation correctly found the user to be part of the service and responded with the error 'email - Sorry, this email is in use'. A fix has been made to the earlier validation check and additional tests were added to meet scenarios where mixed case emails are passed to us via LTI in order to prevent regressions.

8 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi paul.meloccaro‌...

While I don't have a direct answer for you, I am going to tag  @dhulsey ‌ in my reply to see if he may have any ideas.  Dallas is our "go to" guy for all things Turnitin here in the Canvas Community.  Also, I am going to point you over to his awesome blog about https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/plagiarism/blog/2015/04/18/canvas-and-turnitin?sr=search&sear...‌, because it has some really good information, and you may want to confirm that all the Turnitin settings are set correctly (which he also explains in his blog).  I hope this information is helpful to you, Paul.  Good luck!

dhulsey
Community Champion

If I recall correctly, this is a known bug with a small number of accounts, and you would need to file a support ticket with Turnitin to get the accounts resolved.

One thing to check before doing that is if the students are using their school email accounts  in their Canvas profile. If not, advise the students to change the email address in the profile and see if that works.

I hope that helps, Paul!

gharbor
Community Participant

I'm getting the same issue with a lot of students at our school. I've got a feeling that it might have something to do with users who already had a TurnitIn account with our institution. (Directly in TurnitIn) Now Canvas is trying to create an LTI user with the same email address and we are receiving the error???

Are there any other solutions here?

Grant

jschaffer
Community Champion

Hello All, 

We had a similar issue and we were able to resolve this by adjusting the student's email in Canvas.  For some reason, a capital letter will cause issues when transmitting from Canvas to TII, and once we made the student's email all lowercase the problem was resolved.  

I know TII is aware of that issue and is working on a release to fix this, but you may want to try this in the meantime to see if it works.  Good luck. 

Jason Schaffer 

John_Lowe
Community Champion

How were you able to change the case? When I change it from Joe_User@baylor.edu to joe_user@baylor.edu, Canvas reverts back to Joe_User@baylor.edu again. Even if I change it from Joe_User@baylor.edu to joe_schmoe@baylor.edu, and then change it from joe_schmoe@baylor.edu to joe_user@baylor.edu, Canvas reverts it back to Joe_User@baylor.edu. I can't seem to get Canvas to "forget" about the original camel-cased email address.

gharbor
Community Participant

John,

I found the exact same issue. I had to change the sync script between our SIS and Canvas so that when it grabbed the email addresses from the SIS it lowercased them all before being uploaded to Canvas. Once I ran a new master sync all the uppercase emails in our site were removed. This fixed the TurnitIn login issue. 

I did contact TII and they are aware of the issue and their engineers are looking at a solution.

John_Lowe
Community Champion

I was just contacted by TurnItIn to let me know that they have resolved this issue.  I verified their fix using several dozen user accounts in several dozen courses where I knew the problem was occurring, and it appears that they have indeed fixed this problem (without needing to change the case of email addresses in Canvas).

John_Lowe
Community Champion

According to Ryan Miller at TurnItIn:

It seems that when users had an email with mixed case it caused an early validation to fail to find the existing user, and subsequently our code attempted to create the user. A deeper validation correctly found the user to be part of the service and responded with the error 'email - Sorry, this email is in use'. A fix has been made to the earlier validation check and additional tests were added to meet scenarios where mixed case emails are passed to us via LTI in order to prevent regressions.