Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linda_flores
Community Participant

Students' recodrings in conference

Jump to solution

Hi

can I use this video as instruction for my students, will they be able to do the same things?

Recording a presentation in Canvas - YouTube 

What I want to do is to leave a conference open with the recording function enabled, and then let the students join the conference whenever they want, without me being there, let them do their recording and then I can watch it afterwards. 

Also, afterwards I want all the students on the course to be able to watch each other's recordings, how do I do that? 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Linda,

Yes you can do that but there are some limitations you should be aware of. 

• Recordings using the Conferences tool will only remain on the system for 2 weeks and there is no way to export them.
  • Only conference moderators can initiate recordings.  So if you create the conference students are NOT going to be able to use it to record.  Instead, have each student create their own conference so that they can record.  How do I use Conferences in a course as a student?  By default students to have access to create conferences in Courses.  However, that is a permission that can be changed by Admins so if students report not being able to, that might be why.  
  • As a teacher you will be able to see all conferences and recordings, but students will only be able to see recordings in conferences they were invited to.  So when students create their conference they need to make sure to invite everyone if you eventually need them to see each others presentations.

Give it a try and see if it's going to work in your situation.  I hope this helps.

Rick

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Linda,

Yes you can do that but there are some limitations you should be aware of. 

• Recordings using the Conferences tool will only remain on the system for 2 weeks and there is no way to export them.
  • Only conference moderators can initiate recordings.  So if you create the conference students are NOT going to be able to use it to record.  Instead, have each student create their own conference so that they can record.  How do I use Conferences in a course as a student?  By default students to have access to create conferences in Courses.  However, that is a permission that can be changed by Admins so if students report not being able to, that might be why.  
  • As a teacher you will be able to see all conferences and recordings, but students will only be able to see recordings in conferences they were invited to.  So when students create their conference they need to make sure to invite everyone if you eventually need them to see each others presentations.

Give it a try and see if it's going to work in your situation.  I hope this helps.

Rick

View solution in original post