cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
regan
Community Participant

Students returning to a quiz later

Jump to solution

I have a class in which I'm creating homework as a quiz, because most of the answers are cut-and-dried, right or wrong, and I want Canvas to grade it form me. (Is there another option for having Canvas do the grading that I haven't found outside of the "quiz"?)

My immediate question is about students entering a quiz multiple times. I saw another thread in which it was stated that a student can return to a quiz later as long as their time has not expired. The answers are auto-saved when a student leaves. So I have two questions about this.

(1) In order for a student to return later, do I need to check the "Allow Multiple Attempts" box? Or does that have no bearing on whether they are allowed back in, as long as their time has not expired?

(2) If a student can automatically get back in as long as they have time remaining (my second question above), what prevents a student from opening the quiz, taking screen prints all the way through the quiz, going out to find the answers, then returning later when they have done so?

TIA for any help you can give this relative newbie.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@regan , here are the answers to your questions. 

1. Allowing multiple attempts has nothing to do with returning into a quiz. As long as there is no time limit or the student has time left on the quiz then they can re-enter it later. 

2. Nothing in Canvas prevents students from taking screen shots of the quiz. Yet, the time will keep running even if they exit the quiz. Ex: If the student has 60 min for the quiz and they start it at 8:45am, the quiz will automatically submit at 9:45am, even if the student starts and then exits the quiz. 

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@regan , here are the answers to your questions. 

1. Allowing multiple attempts has nothing to do with returning into a quiz. As long as there is no time limit or the student has time left on the quiz then they can re-enter it later. 

2. Nothing in Canvas prevents students from taking screen shots of the quiz. Yet, the time will keep running even if they exit the quiz. Ex: If the student has 60 min for the quiz and they start it at 8:45am, the quiz will automatically submit at 9:45am, even if the student starts and then exits the quiz. 

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

regan
Community Participant

You perfectly answered my questions, Kona. Thank you!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Excellent! Glad I could help!

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Hello Kona,

From your answer, I see that students can re-enter a quiz if no time limit is set, and that the time will keep running even if they exit the quiz. But in a timed quiz, could a student who leaves the quiz re-enter the quiz and finish it - as long as they can log back in before the timer runs out? I am thinking of students who accidentally close the page, or get kicked off-line briefly due to unstable internet (as in rural areas).  In such cases, I would want them to be able to get back into the quiz to finish - because my time limit would prevent them from using this as a means of cheating (e.g., screenshot/copy the questions, exit the quiz, look up the answers, and come back later to take the quiz).