Studio Captions

Jump to solution
bschaffer314
Community Member

It looks like the method for editing captions on Canvas Studio has been recently updated.  (In the last week or so.)

Formerly: you uploaded a video to Canvas, requested captions, and then clicked "Review" and could make changes line-by-line and, after making all of those changes, you clicked "Save and Publish".

Now: when you review your captions, each time you edit a line, you have to click "Save".

This makes a time consuming task a lot more time consuming.  I was wondering if there is a way to make all changes at once before saving, using the updated controls?  (I was also wondering about the rationale for this change?)

Also, this change was made during the academic semester, after I had already created video assignments for my classes, along with instructions for students about how to caption their videos using Studio, so now I have to update those instructions in all of my classes.  Could changes that might impact assignments be made outside of regular term-time?

Thanks very much,

Bridgitte Schaffer

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @bschaffer314 ...

I've not had a chance to look at the new updates to Studio captioning just yet, so thanks for posting this.  The updates that you refer to happened on February 21, 2023.  You can read more about this by visiting:

Studio Release Notes (2023-02-21) - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Further, you might want to review this blog post:

How to Use the New Caption Editor in Studio? (+Vid... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

I do agree with you that the "Save" button may create more time when editing captions.  Maybe they could implement an option that wouldn't require a "Save" button at all?  It would be similar to New Quizzes in that once you make an update, it's automatically saved.  You might want to post your above comments over on Akos' blog so that he sees them and can respond.

Hope this helps a bit.

View solution in original post