Studio Video

Jump to solution
erinlowery39
Community Novice

I have moved a studio video into a canvas course. Where does the video go when you move it into a live, active canvas course? Where do I find it to add to a module?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@erinlowery39 ...

I think your use of the word "move" is not really accurate as it relates to Studio videos. Normally, you would click on the "Studio" icon on the far left-hand side of your Canvas global navigation menu. This is your Studio "library" where you can add videos that you've made yourself ... or add videos from YouTube/Vimeo. You can further create "Collection" folders in your Studio library to organize your videos. Think of this like folders to store files.

When you want to add a video from your Studio library into a course, you're not really "moving" the video. Rather, you are embedding the video from your Studio library into your course. The video always remains in your Studio library in case you want to use it in more than one course. Of course, if you delete the video from your Studio library, then it won't be available in any course that you had embedded the video in. The easiest way to embed your Studio video onto a content page of your course is to follow the instructions outlined in this Guide:

How do I embed Canvas Studio media in a Canvas cou... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Assuming that you've already uploaded the video to your Studio library, all you'll need to do (using these instructions) is to find and select your video using the interface described in the Guide. There is no need to upload the video (also described later in this Guide) because you've already done this.

Now, technically, it is possible to add a Studio video directly to a module as a module item (so that it is displayed similar to a content page, assignment, discussion topic, quiz, etc. on your "Modules" index page), but I would not recommend this option. The reason is that then you don't have the ability to add any other text to that item. For example, if you wanted to add a paragraph or two about the video, you wouldn't be able to do that by adding the Studio video as a module item. For these cases, I would recommend that you create a blank content page, add your supporting text, and then embed the Studio video using the link that I've provided.

I know this is probably a bit more information than what you were looking for, but I hope it is enough to answer your question. Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post