cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luke_caldwell
Community Contributor

Studio only recording the background

Jump to solution

I have a professor, using a Macbook, who tried to use Studio but it only recorded the background of the desktop. No foreground, no active window, just a shot of the background. Anyone else experiencing this issue with Macbooks?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
luke_caldwell
Community Contributor

After spending time looking on this community board, I then moved to the Screen-Cast-O-Matic board and found this solution.

The Recorder is only capturing the background / wallpaper on my computer (MAC OS) – Screencast-O-Mat... 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
luke_caldwell
Community Contributor

After spending time looking on this community board, I then moved to the Screen-Cast-O-Matic board and found this solution.

The Recorder is only capturing the background / wallpaper on my computer (MAC OS) – Screencast-O-Mat... 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

I found that screen-cast-o-matic solution too but don't have the Screen Recording preferences in Privacy so not sure how to fix it - any ideas? 

Hi Sarah,

I am not sure why you couldn't see that option. Here are my three suggestions:

1. It might be a school computer and you might not have the correct permissions. If so, see the IT dept. or helpdesk at your school. 
  2. Maybe you did not scroll down far enough in the privacy window?
  3. Another thought is that maybe you have not used screen recording tools to activate this feature, but if you are on this page looking for help, that would probably mean you have used screen recording tools. 

The instructions from Apple are pretty much the same, Control access to screen recording on Mac - Apple Support , so I am thinking it might be #1 or #2.

Hope you can figure it out soon!

Appreciate you looking at this Luke but still no joy - I'm seeking answers for a colleague on a macbook pro with full admin access - it's Mojave not Catalina which the apple support link is pointing to - think apple must have changed the preferences for screen recording as doesn't appear anywhere under privacy settings and I have it all working fine on my macbook so trying to work out where and how it works for me but not my colleague

slee15
Community Member

We also have this issue today, so I was searching this problem. Macbook, Catalina, and only recording the home desktop screen, not active window. Tried in Chrome and Safari. 

jamcgee
Community Participant

Not sure if this is still relevant as we are working on a similar issue today.  Still in the process of gathering information about the user's system.  I'll try and update if we find a resolution.  In the meantime, the links mentioned here for Screencast-o-Matic have changed:

Here are some hopefully relevant links:

kmallen
Community Participant

I had a similar issue, but I was able to see the Screen Recorder in System Preferences when I had the tool open in Chrome (i.e. I hit "Record" in Canvas Studio but I did not start the recording.) Here's what it looked like in System Preferences:

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 12.32.27 PM.png

birmingham_st
Community Member

I keep having this problem as well. My settings say it has permission to screen record, but it will only capture the background. This is incredibly frustrating.