Studio: option to limit playback speeds on studio quizzes?

Jump to solution
AlexHeitlinger
Community Member

I teach classes related to music and many of my studio videos include audio and video of musical performances. For these assignments, it is essential that the students listen to this music in real time, NOT at 1.5x or 2x the speed. I would LOVE the option to limit the playback speed to 1x only, but unfortunately this is not an option right now and I'm sure many students are just skimming through the music and answering the embedded questions. 

Does anyone know a workaround?

Thank you!

Alex

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
joshua_lebo
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @AlexHeitlinger,

I understand you are looking for options to limit the playback speed options students are given when viewing Studio videos. As you mentioned this is currently not an option in Studio, but I would recommend submitted a feature request for this in our Ideas Community as is shown here How do I create a new idea conversation in the Instructure Community? or vote on one of the similar ideas already in the community, such as Allow instructors to disable playback controls in media.

For work-arounds that can be used right now, you could check with your institution to see if they have any other video quizzing programs available, such as Kaltura, Panopto, YuJa, etc., as many of those programs allow instructors to limit what video controls are available to students. If you don't need the questions to be built in to the video you could also embed the videos from another service such as Vimeo or YouTube, which allows you to restrict the playback options on embeds for your own videos. Finally, if you are still using Studio, you could check the quiz results and statistics as is shown in this guide How do I view Canvas Studio video quiz results? to see how long students are viewing the video and how long it takes them to complete the quiz then compare that with the length of the original video.

View solution in original post