cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bpfingst1
Community Member

Subaccount Question Banks

Jump to solution

Hi.  I'm working with a Spanish Department that wants to create a series of question banks at the sub-account level.  I assume they'll need someone in their department to be a sub-account admin to do this, correct?  They've asked if the instructors in their department, who are not admins, would be able to change/edit the questions in the question banks?  They'd prefer not.  I'm assuming that once the questions are pulled into quizzes in each instructor's course(s) that they could then change/edit them? 

Their main goal is to create standardized questions that can be used in multiple sections of the 100 and 200 level Spanish courses, and where possible restrict who can change/edit these questions to just the department admin person.

Thanks!

-Brett

Brett Pfingston

Instructional Technology Consultant

Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning (CITL)

Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education / 

University Information Technology Services (UITS)

Indiana University Bloomington

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hello  @brett_pfingston ​ - You are correct on all counts.  The sub-account will need a sub-account administrator to create/edit the Question Banks, and the instructors will NOT be able to edit those Question Banks at the sub-account level.  And yes, they can edit the questions on the individual quizzes themselves once they add them.  HOWEVER, be aware, as this documentation points out, do not expect any changes in a question bank question to be reflected on an already-created quiz! (Even though the document refers to question banks that an instructor created him/herself at the course level, it holds true at the sub-account level, as well.) So departmental communication will be extremely important if the question banks undergo a lot of changes!

You did not indicate if you are a Canvas administrator or not, but if so you will want to review the various sub-account permissions: How do I set permissions for a sub-account-level role?  Being a sub-account administrator indeed hands off access to the individual courses within the sub-account, so it will be important for the instructors to realize that their administrator can view course activity--were they so inclined.

Also, before you start dabbling in sub-accounts at all, I would strongly encourage you to take advantage of the Test environment first:  How do I access the Canvas test environment?  I did this with any faculty sub-account administrators to ensure that they (and whoever they reported to) were aware of just what a sub-account administrator could do with the default permissions in place.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hello  @brett_pfingston ​ - You are correct on all counts.  The sub-account will need a sub-account administrator to create/edit the Question Banks, and the instructors will NOT be able to edit those Question Banks at the sub-account level.  And yes, they can edit the questions on the individual quizzes themselves once they add them.  HOWEVER, be aware, as this documentation points out, do not expect any changes in a question bank question to be reflected on an already-created quiz! (Even though the document refers to question banks that an instructor created him/herself at the course level, it holds true at the sub-account level, as well.) So departmental communication will be extremely important if the question banks undergo a lot of changes!

You did not indicate if you are a Canvas administrator or not, but if so you will want to review the various sub-account permissions: How do I set permissions for a sub-account-level role?  Being a sub-account administrator indeed hands off access to the individual courses within the sub-account, so it will be important for the instructors to realize that their administrator can view course activity--were they so inclined.

Also, before you start dabbling in sub-accounts at all, I would strongly encourage you to take advantage of the Test environment first:  How do I access the Canvas test environment?  I did this with any faculty sub-account administrators to ensure that they (and whoever they reported to) were aware of just what a sub-account administrator could do with the default permissions in place.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

bpfingst1
Community Member

Yes, that helps.  Thanks Ken!

-Brett