cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asuncion_magsin
Community Member

Submitting a group paper

Jump to solution

I divided the class into groups and they work on a paper together then submit the paper as a group. How do they do that? And how will the submission reflect the names of the members of the group in the assignments and grades tabs?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @asuncion_magsin  Welcome to the Canvas Community, and you ask a good question because this is one area where the usually-reliable "Student View" will not assist you, since the Test Student can not be in a group. It just so happens that this topic is fresh in my mind, because I did a mini-workshop for faculty at my own institution on this very topic.

They will submit the paper just like any other online assignment.  However, they should be informed that one person is uploading the assignment on behalf of the entire group.   If you went with the default setting of not enabling the checkbox Assign Grades to Each Student Individually when creating the assignment, when any student in the group submits the assignment they will see a warning box on the screen that is shown on the first screen capture under the Upload File heading on this page: How do I submit an assignment on behalf of a group?  However, rather oddly (in my opinion), if you did enable the "Assign Grades to Each Student Individually" checkbox, they do not see a similar warning on the screen. Their view then is what is shown on the second screen capture the Upload File heading, under the Select Comment Option heading on the same page: How do I submit an assignment on behalf of a group? 

The bottom line in either case is that they should only upload one paper on behalf of the entire group.  If someone else in the group tries to submit after the initial submission, my advice is you warn students that they will instead see a Re-Submit Assignment button rather than a Submit Assignment button, and also that they will see, at the far right of the screen, the document already submitted by another group member.  (Your view in SpeedGrader will be different, as well, depending on the setting you enabled for that checkbox, as outlined here:  How do I grade group assignments in SpeedGrader?)

And finally, students can see who is in several ways, but one method is via the People menu item and clicking on the Groups tab, as shown here: How do I view all groups in a course as a student? If they choose to visit their group homepage, they will have their own PEOPLE menu item, as well, though my own experience is that students will often not bother actually visiting their group homepage unless they have a reason for doing so.  You, as the instructor, can get a sense of what a group page looks like by heading into the group site yourself, as outlined here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12815-415255495 

I hope this helps, Asuncion!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @asuncion_magsin  Welcome to the Canvas Community, and you ask a good question because this is one area where the usually-reliable "Student View" will not assist you, since the Test Student can not be in a group. It just so happens that this topic is fresh in my mind, because I did a mini-workshop for faculty at my own institution on this very topic.

They will submit the paper just like any other online assignment.  However, they should be informed that one person is uploading the assignment on behalf of the entire group.   If you went with the default setting of not enabling the checkbox Assign Grades to Each Student Individually when creating the assignment, when any student in the group submits the assignment they will see a warning box on the screen that is shown on the first screen capture under the Upload File heading on this page: How do I submit an assignment on behalf of a group?  However, rather oddly (in my opinion), if you did enable the "Assign Grades to Each Student Individually" checkbox, they do not see a similar warning on the screen. Their view then is what is shown on the second screen capture the Upload File heading, under the Select Comment Option heading on the same page: How do I submit an assignment on behalf of a group? 

The bottom line in either case is that they should only upload one paper on behalf of the entire group.  If someone else in the group tries to submit after the initial submission, my advice is you warn students that they will instead see a Re-Submit Assignment button rather than a Submit Assignment button, and also that they will see, at the far right of the screen, the document already submitted by another group member.  (Your view in SpeedGrader will be different, as well, depending on the setting you enabled for that checkbox, as outlined here:  How do I grade group assignments in SpeedGrader?)

And finally, students can see who is in several ways, but one method is via the People menu item and clicking on the Groups tab, as shown here: How do I view all groups in a course as a student? If they choose to visit their group homepage, they will have their own PEOPLE menu item, as well, though my own experience is that students will often not bother actually visiting their group homepage unless they have a reason for doing so.  You, as the instructor, can get a sense of what a group page looks like by heading into the group site yourself, as outlined here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12815-415255495 

I hope this helps, Asuncion!

View solution in original post