cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jnicoline
Community Member

Submitting an assignment on Canvas

Some of my students are having trouble submitting an assignment to me on Canvas on their school iPads.

I create an assignment with a pdf in it, where the students can write on it directly on canvas. Most students hit the share button at the top right corner and then there is a "submit to canvas" icon that they can then submit. However a couple students never get that icon and when I tell them to click "more" there is still no Canvas icon to turn on. 

I was wondering how the students can get that icon to show up after they click the share button?

Tags (4)
10 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi John -

That's really interesting. For the students without Canvas in their "more apps" list, are they updated to Canvas Student 6.6?

What types of files are they trying to submit? I explored this a little, and when I was submitting from Google Drive, PDFs, .docx, and .pttx worked as a "Send a copy" but .jpgs did not provide "Submit Assignment" as an option.

jnicoline
Community Member

I am not sure if they are updated but I will make sure that they all update tomorrow in class.

They are turning in a pdf that they edited on Canvas. 

Wonderful! Are they using the DocViewer within Canvas or a third-party app like GoodReader or Notability?

They are using the DocViewer within Canvas. I gave them the option to use Notability but most did not want to have to make extra moves, they found it easier to simply work directly into canvas. However, now they are coming across this submitting issue.

Thank you for the update! I'll explore it myself and let you know what I learn. Smiley Happy

cjohansson
Community Participant

I have this same issue. None of my iPads have the “Submit Assignment” button, though. They can save it to their files and then upload, but they aren’t individualized iPads, so that becomes problematic. Bring back the Submit Assignment button!

I'm running Canvas Student 6.6.1, and I tested this again today. When using the annotation tools right inside Canvas Student, I pressed the Open-In button in the top-right (square/box with the upwards arrow), and I see Submit Assignment.

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Canvas Student 6.6.2 is now available in the iTunes store. After updating, do you still experience issues with assignment submissions?

cjohansson
Community Participant

Problem seems to be fixed on my end!