cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jesse_phomsouva
Community Member

Submitting assignments past the term/course date

Is there a way we can allow students in to submit assignments to Canvas courses that have gone past the term date? At times we grant major extensions for some students who have medical reasons that go beyond term dates. When I try to set a Due Date or an Until Date in the portal, it gives me an error saying that it cannot be past the term date.

I read somewhere that Section dates can override course dates and term dates, but it does not seem to override the assignment portals. I thought I could put the student into their own section with the dates that suit them, but that doesn't seem to work.

I don't know how to resolve this situation without removing the term completely from the entire course. If I did this then all students could fully participate until the student finally would submit their work. How can I resolve this?

4 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @jesse_phomsouva ‌ - I get this question all the time from faculty members who need to have students complete an incomplete as well as for multiple other reasons. What I do is simply adjust the course END date in the individual course SETTINGS page, as outlined here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10263-415257088  A faculty member cannot do this past the term end date, but you (I'm assuming you are an administrator) can.  Then, make absolutely certain that you enable the checkbox labelled Users can only participate in the course between these dates, as that guide page makes clear.  That checkbox will mean (as the "fine print" below indicates) that the date show in the ENDS date will override the term availability dates.  

What's the downside? The downside is that ALL students in that class will continue to have access to the course and it will continue to appear on their Dashboard, so confusion can sometimes set in.  Frankly, however, the average student is not going to click into a course that they are otherwise no longer actively taking, and we have never run into issues with this.

I hope this helps a bit!

The solution you suggested above is the extent of where I could go as well. I find the downside a bit of an itchy spot as the course pops up in every student's dashboard. I feel like the whole idea of having past term courses which limit students and lecturers from participating in the course doesn't work anymore once one particular student is granted a major extension for medical reasons. It just gets messy as it's no longer categorized properly from a participant's point of view.

To my knowledge the priority of dates are: section dates > course dates > term dates. So I thought I could chuck a student into their own section with dates that extend further than the course and term dates, but it doesn't make a difference... I would LOVE to see some development or flexibility in this area.

Depending on circumstances, I have created a course for a faculty member just for one student finishing up work, importing everything over from the original course. The downside there, of course, is that grades do not get imported as well, so those have to be handled separately. But yes, either method has its positives and negatives.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jesse_phomsouva ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie