cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mvaughan2

Submitting to a Muted Assignment

Jump to solution

Updated

Original Subject Line: Does a student have the ability to submit an assignment if the assignment is muted for grading purposes?

Does the system allow students to submit an assignment when I have the assignment muted for grading?  Ex:  My current assignment allows students to submit an assignment from 9/29/2016 until 10/3/2016.  I would like to begin grading assignments that have already been submitted, but want the assignment to be muted while I am grading (using Croc-a-doc to point out errors).

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @mvaughan2 ​...

I just tested this out in my own sandbox course creating an assignment with the dates that you specified above.  Yes, if you mute an assignment in the Gradebook, students can still submit the assignment to you.  As you can see from this example, the "Media Assignment" was muted, but the "Test Student" (bottom row) was still able to submit the assignment.

mutedAssignment.jpg

Also, I wanted to let you know that I am going to modify the subject line of your question a bit to make it shorter.  I'll also tag your message with some keywords.  Both of these things will make it easier for people to search for your question here in the Canvas Community should they have similar questions.  If the revised subject line doesn't accurately reflect what you're asking in the body of your message, we can make any necessary changes.  I hope this is okay with you, Mary.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @mvaughan2 ​...

I just tested this out in my own sandbox course creating an assignment with the dates that you specified above.  Yes, if you mute an assignment in the Gradebook, students can still submit the assignment to you.  As you can see from this example, the "Media Assignment" was muted, but the "Test Student" (bottom row) was still able to submit the assignment.

mutedAssignment.jpg

Also, I wanted to let you know that I am going to modify the subject line of your question a bit to make it shorter.  I'll also tag your message with some keywords.  Both of these things will make it easier for people to search for your question here in the Canvas Community should they have similar questions.  If the revised subject line doesn't accurately reflect what you're asking in the body of your message, we can make any necessary changes.  I hope this is okay with you, Mary.

jean-k-gordon

I had this same question. Could you clarify whether students can still see the assignment and submit to it if the assignment is muted in SpeedGrader? I notice above you say "if you mute an assignment in the Gradebook". Your Canvas guide also says students can submit to assignments muted in the Gradebook, but this statement is missing from the page about muting in SpeedGrader.

Yes, students can still see and submit to the assignment, they just can't see any grades/comments/feedback for this assignment. Muting in speedgrader is the same (function wise) as muting in the gradebook.

Thanks, Kona, for your quick reply. I have a student who claims he could not access the assignment, so I am not so sure. I am wondering if the assignment is accessible through some links but not others.

Jean

Mute should have nothing to do with a student accessing an assignment. I'd double-check that the assignment is published and if you have an "until" date set on it or not.

If none of these things are the issue, then I'd contact your Canvas Admin to have them look further into this.

Okay, thanks for checking. I am working with our Canvas admin, but we are all new to it and trying to figure out its subtleties…

If neither of you are sure then I'd go ahead and submit this to Canvas Support (Help link --> Report a Problem, then have your Admin escalate it to support if it doesn't go there directly). They are awesome and great at trouble-shooting stuff like this!