cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jschaffer
Community Champion

Survey Quiz for the Term

Hello all,

I was looking through the resources here and I could not find the answer I was looking for.  I am hoping you can help.  As an institution, we like to assign both students and instructors a survey at the end of the term to collect feedback on our courses, curriculum and teaching methodology.  However, it seems that the only way to assign this would be on the course level.  Is that accurate? 

Is there a way to develop one survey quiz (perhaps from the Commons?) and assign one version to every student in a term, and another we can assign to every instructor in the term?  We need to be able to collect at least 1 survey from every instructor, but we will need one survey, per course, for every student.  I would like to avoid managing several hundred versions of the surveys that will exist independently in all of our live courses.  Right now I am stumped on how to accomplish this.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

9 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

jschaffer​, here are two things we do when we're trying to survey our students:

• Inside Canvas - we have a "Student Resource Course" where every student currently taking a course is enrolled. Because they are all in a course we can then post the survey in the course and send a message out through the Inbox (via the course) to the students to take the survey. We also have an "Instructor Training Course" where every Instructor who is using Canvas is enrolled. Similar to what we do for the students we can create survey's and administer them through this course.
  • Outside Canvas - we've used SurveyMonkey to create student and Instructor quizzes and just sent them out either through Canvas (using the Global Notification) or through their regular student email.

Both of these ways have worked for us pretty well, but the best way if you want to know each person can only answer once is through Canvas.

Hope this helps!

jschaffer
Community Champion

Kona,

We have thought about Survey Monkey too, but we would like to keep this inside the LMS if possible.  As such, if we do the Student Resource Course, do you simply reset the "Quiz" every term to get new responses?  Also, what is the response rate like on something like this? 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

We separate the students by section, so each semester we have a different "section" that only includes that semester's students. We can then use the differentiate feature/tool to make sure only a specific section of students can take/access/see the survey. In the course we add the survey to the Modules, so when we are done with a survey we just remove it from the Modules; I never delete anything! In addition, we have quizzes and grades hidden from students in this course so they can't really find the old survey (even if they participated in it) unless they really searched for it... which I doubt any care enough to do. We also have the until date set so it's not like they could do anything with it even if they found it. As for response rate, it's not great, but when are they ever? I think last time it was around 23-24%, yet depending on how much buy-in you have from students and faculty (and how much you advertise and promote it) I know you can get much higher response rates with this.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

jschaffer​, I expect that your prompt will elicit multiple suggestions, and since no single one is likely to wind up being uniquely "correct," I've changed the format of your post to a discussion.

Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi jschaffer

We ask our students to complete a survey at the end of each academic year, to get their feedback on how Canvas is used, which tools/features they would like to see used more often and even their suggestions for improvements/new features. We feed some of these suggestions back to Instructure.

To implement it, we do something similar to what  @kona  described - we have a central resource course containing a survey and all students are directed to that central course to complete the survey. To "reset" the survey each year, we simply use the content import tool to make a new copy of the survey and set the availability dates of the previous survey to prevent students from taking that one. This means we can still refer to surveys from previous years if we want to compare responses.

In terms of the response rate - well, my feeling on asking for feedback about any kind of product/service (a Canvas course, a vacation, a meal in a restaurant) is that customers are more likely to complete the survey if they have had a negative experience and want to complain about it. If everything was fine with their experience then they just take it for granted and don't feel the need to give feedback - unless you offer them an incentive for doing so. So we offer our students the chance to win an Amazon voucher. We typically have two £50 vouchers and select two winners at random from the students who have submitted. We always get a lot of responses although I can't predict how much lower the response would be if we didn't offer a prize!

Since we have a centralized content model, we were thinking of creating a Survey Quiz in the commons. From there, we were going to pull it into our Master Courses before copying out a term.  Once in the live term, we can gate the Quiz/Survey so that students must respond before entering the final week of the term. 

Has anyone tried this?  Any issues that you see in this logic? 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Only potential issue is how are you going to get the data/survey responses out of all those courses? I'm guessing that if you have a good enough programmer you could do this, but otherwise it sounds like a huge headache. Smiley Wink

Shar
Community Champion

I agree with  @kona , it'll be a chore and half to extract all that data from individual courses when what you want is the aggregate of the student satisfaction. Plus you lose some of the candid responses from anonymous collection if the instructor can peep in and see the student responses.

I think SurveyMonkey or a Google Form (automatic graphs:smileygrin:) will be your best bet for collecting and processing all that data. And just duplicate/copy the survey each term and have one central person or team managing the process.

Good luck - Shar!

jasmiene_doming
Community Participant

Hello all.

A centralized survey for the entire institution would be great however, it cannot show the response rate in each department unit (i.e. IT dept, Engineering dept, Arts and Sciences dept, Nursing dept. and the likes). For instance, most respondents from the IT dept. will surely have a positive response on Canvas use as they tend to be more technically oriented. It would be nice if the centralized survey can also identify which department need more support. For now, I can only see this possible under a "student resource course" created for each department as  @kona  mentioned.