cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbrady2
Community Champion

Syllabus links in iOS app

Jump to solution

I was testing the iOS app using a mock student account in a Sandbox course to attempt to track down an issue an instructor reported when I came across another issue.

In the Sandbox course, I created a link on my homepage to the Course Syllabus page, which when I click on it in a browser window on my desktop redirects me to the Course Syllabus page.  However, when I click on the same link on the homepage in the iOS app on my iPad, the navigation menu minimizes, and the screen is filled by a blank page with the title Sandbox 38 and subtitle Sandox across the top of the page. Clicking on the Syllabus link in the navigation menu takes me to the Course Syllabus page with no issues.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@jbrady2 ​,

Thanks for adding the screenshots. That's really helpful to see what you're referencing. You're absolutely right that it displays both ways in the iOS app depending on if you link to the syllabus or if you use the navigation link to the syllabus. In my opinion, it doesn't matter either way, but I would at least like to see it be consistent one way or the other. I don't know that you would need to submit a Canvas Feature​ request, but I would report this as a problem to be resolved.

Thanks, Jeff. Hope this is helpful to you.

IMG_0865.PNGIMG_0866.PNG

View solution in original post

6 Replies
travis_thurston
Community Champion

@jbrady2 ​,

I have tried replicating the issue you're describing without success. I tried in the iOS app on my iphone and on my ipad, and it worked just fine in both. Doing some digging, I know there are some Course Navigation links that aren't supported in the Canvas app.​ I seem to be experiencing a bit of a lag when I click the link compared to clicking the Syllabus tab, but it will still display the content.

The other item I found that is working pretty similarly is that pages display well in the pages tab in the iOS app, and in the browser window. I was testing using Chrome. Have you had any other reports of this issue? Are you able to replicate the same issue in another course? On other devices?

Let me know. Thanks!

@travis_thurston ​ I checked out the guide Which Course Navigation tabs are currently not supported within the Canvas app on my iOS device? and tested one of the mentioned links and determined that that is not what I was experiencing.

File Jan 13, 08 52 40.png

Instead, this is what I see when I try to navigate to the Course Syllabus tool from both a link on the Home Page and through the left-hand navigation menu.  I tested this in a new course and was able to replicate the quirks in that new course, and I also tested it in the Canvas app on both my iPad and my Android phone with the same results.

Course Home Page

File Jan 13, 08 48 58.png    Screenshot_2016-01-13-09-00-32.png

Syllabus Tool as displayed when navigating to it through the Syllabus button on the Home Page.  On both devices, as I scroll down this page, all I see is the syllabus text that precedes the course schedule but no course schedule.  Notice on the iPad screenshot how the left-hand navigation is gone and there is a grey bar across the top of the page with the course title.

File Jan 13, 08 49 17.png    Screenshot_2016-01-13-09-01-00.png

Syllabus Tool as displayed when navigating to it through the Syllabus link in the Navigation Menu.  Accessing the Syllabus Tool through the navigation menu, it now displays only the course schedule but not the syllabus text from the top of the page.

File Jan 13, 08 49 54.png    Screenshot_2016-01-13-09-03-37.png

Hopefully this helps.

@jbrady2 ​,

Thanks for adding the screenshots. That's really helpful to see what you're referencing. You're absolutely right that it displays both ways in the iOS app depending on if you link to the syllabus or if you use the navigation link to the syllabus. In my opinion, it doesn't matter either way, but I would at least like to see it be consistent one way or the other. I don't know that you would need to submit a Canvas Feature​ request, but I would report this as a problem to be resolved.

Thanks, Jeff. Hope this is helpful to you.

IMG_0865.PNGIMG_0866.PNG

jbrady2
Community Champion

@travis_thurston ​ To update, when I linked to the Course Syllabus Tool through the left-hand navigation, I incorrectly assumed that since I did not see the syllabus text at the top of the page that it was missing, but I finally figured out that it is accessible through the Syllabus link that displays at the top of the page.  So, obviously, the above information about the syllabus text being missing was my misunderstanding of that aspect of how the app works.

When I clicked on the Syllabus link on the Course Syllabus tool page, this is what opened:

155500_pastedImage_1.png

So now I am basically seeing the same thing I saw when I linked to the Course Syllabus tool directly from the Home Page but with the left-hand navigation still showing.  So there would seem to be a glitch with linking to the Course Syllabus tool that causes the Canvas app to bypass the Syllabus tool and jump straight to the syllabus text.

@travis_thurston ​ Thanks for the help in verifying this.  I will report it.

Agreed, I am seeing the same thing. It takes an additional click when linking from the navigation than it does when linking from a link on the homepage of the course. While I don't really mind the extra click, I do mind the inconsistency. So, that's why I recommended reporting the issue. Thanks for your screenshots throughout to help me see what you were describing.

Later,  @jbrady2 ​.