cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barbara_a_borde
Community Member

Syncing Canvas email with campus email

Is it possible to change my settings to be able to respond to a Canvas email from my OU campus email box?  I receive copies of students' Canvas emails there, but when I respond to them from my campus inbox, the student does not receive it.  

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @barbara_a_borde ...

There aren't any settings within Canvas that would allow you to change the way your campus e-mail system is configured.  In your Notifications within your Canvas profile, you can configure where you want to receive notifications (via e-mail, a second e-mail address, text message, Twitter, etc.), and then you can further configured how often you want to receive those notifications.

When you receive a copy of a message through your school's e-mail inbox (not Canvas), you should be able to reply to that message directly in your e-mail account, and then your student would get your reply.  However, that would all depend on how that student has chosen to receive Canvas Inbox/message notifications.  It's quite possible that the student has chosen to turn off e-mail notifications and only get notifications via text messages, for example.  Or, the student may want to only get notifications once a day or once a week via e-mail.  It's up to the student to decide that.

Here are a bunch of Guides that may help:

How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications as a student? 

How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as a student? 

How do I add a text (SMS) contact method in Canvas as a student? 

How do I set my Canvas notification preferences as a student? 

How do I add contact methods to receive Canvas notifications as an instructor? 

How do I add an additional email address as a contact method in Canvas as an instructor? 

How do I add a text (SMS) contact method in Canvas as an instructor? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13111-4152719738 

Finally, if after you and your student(s) have confirmed Notification settings in Canvas and the student is still not receiving your replies, you may want to suggest that the student contact Canvas Support so that they can look into the issue further.  Canvas Support can be accessed by clicking on the "Help" button on the left side of your Canvas environment.

I hope this helps, Barbara.

kimberly_nosewo
Community Participant

I've just spent the better part of a week trying to test and figure out how to reply to a message that has come to my email via notifications.  A lot of reading with no answers.  After discovering a warning email that didn't get pulled by our spam process I did find the answer.  

Users MUST register their email addresses.  Registering is different than adding them to the profile.  To register an email, the user must use the other contacts +Contact Method on the right side of the profile settings screen.  Add your email address and click on Register Email.  This needs to be done, even for default email addresses.  

Now on to the next part of the project.  How can we register the default email addresses so that students do not have to?   

If their account was created with that email address, they shouldn't have to, at least I haven't seen a need to do it.  Was your test/example account created within Canvas, or was it created by your SIS import?

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello once again,  @barbara_a_borde ...

It has been over six month since we last heard from you regarding your above question about receiving e-mails from your students and Canvas messaging.  I wanted to know if you have had an opportunity to review the feedback that you've received from me.  And, if so, did it help to answer your question?  Do you have any outstanding questions for members of the Community as it relates to your original question?  If so, please come back to this topic to post an update below so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  I'm hopeful that you've been able to resolve this by now, so I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard from you in quite some time...and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since the middle of March 2018.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Barbara.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.