cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
je7
Community Member

TA permissions for a student

Jump to solution

I am a research assistant for a professor, but also taking his course. Is there a way in which I can be given the permissions of a non-grading TA, but still be enrolled as a student so grading remains the same? Ultimately the hope is that I can upload files and work the site for him, but his ability to post grades, etc. won't be effected.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
je7
Community Member

Thank you for all the responses! The "peer mentor" role sounds similar to what we had in mind. Essentially a student who is enrolled in the class and doing the assignments but also responsible for uploading readings and maintaining the website. I'll have to find the Canvas admin to try and get that worked out, just needed to know exactly how I should approach that in the first place (and if what was needed was even possible on Glow).

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @je7 ​! Can you clarify what the permissions of a "non-grading TA" would specifically encompass? The ability to "work the site for him" covers a lot of ground.

It does sound like your school would need to create a custom permission, based on what you and the professor specify. Have a look at How do I set permissions for a course-level role in an account?​ and in particular, look over the PDF document embedded in that lesson.

I'm going to share your question with the Canvas Admins​ group, as those are the people who would ultimately weigh in on whether Canvas permissions are sufficiently granular to accommodate the custom role--pending your clarification on the details.

mmitchell
Community Contributor

I agree with stefaniesanders​. We might need a little more information as to what your professor needs you to do in this course. But it's definitely possible to create a specific non-grading student role that is able to create content in a course.

I did this for a department at my institution that needed a peer mentor type of role. They're allowed to manage files, wiki pages, and all other course content (see the PDF Stefanie mentioned) as well as create groups and add events to the calendar. Those sorts of things. They cannot edit assignments or quizzes.

We also have an external tool used for high-stakes testing, so peer mentors have no access to that.

The tricky part for you, though, is having access to files and course content. As long as your instructor doesn't upload exam keys and keeps most important course content inside assignments and quizzes, you should be OK.

You'll also need to find the Canvas admin at your institution to get this going. I'd be happy to chat with them if they need more info.

Mike

sbeck1
Community Champion

This sounds a lot like scenarios that we have been running into. We have faculty that teach multiple sections of the same course. They have their courses combined together for convenience. They have a TA in the course that allows the TA to help with simple things like taking attendance. The TA, however, does not have access to the gradebook or to add/edit/modify assignments and quizzes. The TA is enrolled in one section of the course as a TA, but in another section of the course as a student. The TA can not access the attendance feature of the course now. The update to add the student view of Roll Call attendance has removed the option for the TA to be able to assist with attendance any longer.

je7
Community Member

Thank you for all the responses! The "peer mentor" role sounds similar to what we had in mind. Essentially a student who is enrolled in the class and doing the assignments but also responsible for uploading readings and maintaining the website. I'll have to find the Canvas admin to try and get that worked out, just needed to know exactly how I should approach that in the first place (and if what was needed was even possible on Glow).

View solution in original post