Degraded AWS performance is currently impacting some Canvas users in the North American region. Check Canvas Status for updates.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlehr
Community Participant

Take Google Calendar and Import into Canvas??

Jump to solution

I know that you can export a Canvas calendar to Google calendars, but can you export a Google calendar and import into Canvas??

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@mlehr ​, at the moment, the Canvas Calendar feed goes only one way, and that is via export to an ICS-supported calendar. I've seen some ideas floated in the Community for a calendar integration, and this one reached the vote threshold that prompts a comment from the product team:   While archived, the idea is on Canvas's development radar, so please add your feedback to the linked idea and follow it for updates on the status of its implementation.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@mlehr ​, at the moment, the Canvas Calendar feed goes only one way, and that is via export to an ICS-supported calendar. I've seen some ideas floated in the Community for a calendar integration, and this one reached the vote threshold that prompts a comment from the product team:   While archived, the idea is on Canvas's development radar, so please add your feedback to the linked idea and follow it for updates on the status of its implementation.

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

In addition,  @mlehr ​, while you can't currently import a Google calendar into the Canvas calendar, you can embed a Google calendar into a Canvas page, and awilliams​ helpfully outlined the steps here.

endersk
Community Member

No, no, no. I love Canvas but I live and breathe by my Google Calendar. We need a way to be able to import our Google Calendar events into the Canvas calendar. Simply embedding a Google Calendar onto a Canvas page isn't enough Smiley Sad

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@endersk ​...

Requests such as yours have come up for voting a few times, but unfortunately they haven't gotten many votes...so the ideas have been archived.  Because this idea is important to you, I would suggest posting your feedback to one of these Feature Ideas (even though they are now archived)...or, maybe it's time to re-submit a similar idea so that people can vote on it again.  You never know...maybe priorities have changed for people this past year, and maybe you'd be able to rally more people around the idea.

Hope this helps, Kelly!

stefaniesanders, to make the position of the dev team clear on this issue:

Given that Canvas calendar does not support creation of recurrent events, nor does it support any standards-based import procedure, do you expect the professors to sit down and enter the information regarding the 32 sessions of each of their 3-credit courses manually, every trimester?

That doesn't seem very well-thought in terms of usability.

I would also like to hear from the others how they manage to use their Canvas calendar, because if I don't find a way to streamline this procedure this will probably be the first and the last time my students will have the luxury of enjoying an integrated calendar for their course.

mszargar‌, the best place for you to provide your feedback to our product team is in the form of a comment under the idea on Product Radar: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1203-import-calendar-from-ics-file 

s_uppal
Community Member

I can see that this has been an ongoing request to import a google calendar into Canvas over the years,  Is there a resolve, can it be done or are we still waiting for enough votes!  It would as everyone else has said be a beneficial feature.

sheldonj1
Community Contributor

Just as a comment, it is my somewhat limited observation that there are quite a few "college professors" who just really could care less about doing ANYthing on a computer, let alone a smart phone.

However, given that, some schools really are "turning on a dime" to attract students and .....what. can't describe it.... ... "streamline" and "provide continuity" ( as in a totally digital "system" in addition to a paper trail".)

Our particular little college is one of those and they have taken predictable steps which have been telegraphed beforehand in terms of "going digital".

To that end, the college rolled out, a week or so ago,  first ever, a complete calendar in .csv format with a neutral statement about "place it in your calendar".

Unfortunately a lot of calendars use .ical and no mention was made of providing such or how to convert it.

There are quite a few converters on the web so that was simple enough.

I imported one or the other of the two into my phone and computer calendar apps some of which talk to each other and others do not.

So....I have the college's calendar on my platforms but not my unique class calendar changes.

TO THAT END......IMHO.....the situation with "having a calendar to import", is that the folks who REALLY DO want to have a "digital calendar" are now in a "mindset" of having the calendar stretch across all platforms or ..."Why go to the trouble?".

However sometimes people have problems seeing beyond what they particularly need and what would be the mechanism to provide the functionality that they particularly need.

A) The unstated situation ..is that what the instructors actually need is merely a calendar from the college that is already in Canvas to which they can add their unique stuff.   AND THEN THAT CALENDAR can be downloaded to their platform(s)

B) To that end all that would be needed is for the person who is the Canvas "representative" have a way to import the already present calendar into Canvas.

Let me restate that....

What people really WANT is to "have a dynamic calendar"  on both their computer Canvas and on their "phone" and "home computer" system.

HOW the calendar ends up in different places is irrelevant since the calendar under consideration is already present as provided by the college.

So, the situation really "should be":

a) the Canvas team providing a methodology for the interface person at the college to import the already present calendar into Canvas.  That is what the end user sees on the computer or their smart phone WITHIN CANVAS.

b) the teachers who then so wish to place their unique classroom ADDITIONS into the canvas calendar WHICH IS IN ......ONLY THEIR CALENDAR IN THEIR CLASS can then so do...

c) The teacher can then use the already present export function to put it onto their home or smart phone platform.

d) Canvas would then MERELY need to provide both the .ical and the .cvs format of downloads on the already present download page.

HOWEVER there are then "maintenance" ramifications for the INSTRUCTOR...... !!!!!!

In other words, if the instructor sets up a unique calendar which has UNIQUE ADDITIONS... into the already existing college calendar and then LATER modifies the unique calendar IN THEIR CANVAS CLASS....has a maintainence problem...

the instructor will have to REMOVE the calendar ON THEIR END DEVICE.....the smart phone or the home computer......that was PREVIOUSLY made and then download AGAIN, the newly changed calendar.

ONLY THE INSTRUCTOR IS GOING TO DO THIS....

e) the down loadable file FOR THE INSTRUCTOR

I) will have to be DYNAMIC.... within Canvas unless the Canvas team provides a methodology for the instructor to uniquely download the NEW SNAPSHOT file...

II or a downloadable snapshot as of that date...

The INSTRUCTOR.....then will have....on their END PLATFORM...... their  -- college / instructor addins / personal calendar....

in other words the situation really is that the instructor has to think in terms of Venn diagrams...

College overall calendar ....within that is the unique class calendar (BOTH SEEN BY THE STUDENT ) and then ONLY on their personal platform the previous dates and the local dates...seen only by them.

FOR  the student none of this behind the scenes stuff would be seen because the student merely OBSERVES the calendar that is provided by the college or Canvas.  The student does not provide "input".

So now it comes down to whether or not there is a sufficiently vocal community to justify the work by the Canvas team.

to that end...

a) a poll here would be a good thing.... but it really would be talking to the choir.

b) a poll should be taken by the Canvas interface person at the college to determine what percentage of people at the college already have a working "college calendar - home / smart phone" system..

The combination of the two provide numbers can then be considered by the Canvas tea.

Just some thoughts, of little worth.

james

@sheldonj1 , a brief distillation of this comment would make a useful adjunct to the comments section of  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1623-account-level-calendar-and-sub-account-level-calendar .