cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jharris21

Task sequence mandated within a module

Jump to solution

Hi all

Can an order of activities to be completed be enforced within a module in Canvas?

For example, am I able to mandate students tackle: 

1 video lesson 1

2 quiz/checkup

3 exercise

4 video lesson 2 (which builds on the previous items),

so that students are required to have completed the previous task before they move onto the next?

Thank you kindly. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jharris21 , absolutely! You’d want to start with setting up the requirements - How do I add requirements to a module? - and they state that students have to do them in sequential order. Then if you want students to not be able to skip around to different modules you could also add prerequisites - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13092-415241433 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jharris21 , absolutely! You’d want to start with setting up the requirements - How do I add requirements to a module? - and they state that students have to do them in sequential order. Then if you want students to not be able to skip around to different modules you could also add prerequisites - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13092-415241433 

Hope this helps!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jharris21 ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Thank you, Robbie. Yes. 

Kona, Robbie, & Julian-

Thanks for this question-thread. My question is overlapping but also a little different:

I confess I am a control-freak: I want to be in charge of what materials are available and when. Are there best-practices for shepherding a class along? My ideal is to keep everyone more-or-less on the same page without too much leading or lagging. (I've had experience with extremes--some who wants to race through and "check all the boxes" and others who wait to the last minute yet expect to knock-out a semester's-worth of "work" in a weekend.)

I have previously (different LMS) used: staggered release dates, score hurdles, regimented sequences (video-->quiz), etc. While I do like the "[Previous]" and "[Next]" buttons, I get worried that I don't have exactly linear-flow.

Best regards,

Va Nee