Teacher Assistant & Canvas app

Jump to solution
jwitulski
Community Participant

Hi, 

I have a teacher's assistant and I did a search here.  Which Canvas app (tablet) should the teacher assistant use?  My assistant tried to use the Teacher's app and it wouldn't let her despite her role in each course as a teacher's assistant. 

Anyone have this experience or knowledge?  Something we need to consider in terms of various roles access?  We have parent/observer role access, administrative access and teacher's access but none for assistants. 

Thanks!

0 Likes
2 Solutions
rseilham
Community Champion

@jwitulski - A TA role should use the Canvas Teacher app. Every out of the box role except Student and Observer can use the Canvas Teacher app. Keep in mind that admins can create custom roles to adjust some functionality for the user. For instance, they can create a TA that doesn't have grading permissions. They will be able to access the Canvas Teacher app but will get an error when trying to grade. 

If you want the teacher assistant to grade, then the Canvas Teacher app is the only app they can use for this function.

If the teaching assistant just needs to look over course content (and not student submissions outside of anything public to all students (discussions, etc)), they can use the Canvas Student app. 

My best advice is to talk with your Canvas support if the TA role is not working properly. 

View solution in original post

jwitulski
Community Participant

@rseilham I am replying with an update and a possible solution that others may not consider.   

The first time I added my assistant to the courses, I used the email option.  I rechecked the People section and noted the difference between her "email" and all other people.  None of them had the "email" attached after their username so I went back and added my assistant using "login" option and that worked with her being able to access the app and the courses. 

Appreciate it. 

View solution in original post