cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schase
Community Member

Teachers updating course and section titles after Clever sync?

Teachers find the naming conventions used by our SIS confusing when brought into Canvas. For instance, Sections are cumbersome (e.g. "108-202002-ENG10-Cooper") and teachers would rather have them match our period convention (e.g. G period). If teachers update section or course names, while leaving the course number and section IDs alone, will the sync still update any roster changes to the course?

Tags (2)
3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @schase ​...

I'm sorry that your question has been sitting here in the Canvas Community for well over a month without a response.  While I can't speak to Clever, I *think* the answer to your question is YES!  Here is why I say this...  We currently allow our instructors to change the course "Name" via the course "Settings" screen.  (They also could change the "Course Code" field, but I don't think many do.)  When I masquerade as an instructor, they do not see the "SIS ID" field in course "Settings" like I do as an admin.  Our "SIS ID" field has a unique number in there based on the course number, semester, and year.  I believe this is what our SIS (Banner) is looking for when communicating with Canvas.  So, even if the instructor changes the "Name" field, the "SIS ID" won't ever change, and enrollments/drops still happen automatically.

I hope this helps, Steven!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@schase ​,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

abunag
Community Champion

I was informed by Instructure that this is correct - the sync (both import and export) looks only at the SIS ID, and not course name.  So changing the course name isn't a concern.