cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Team teaching and shared editing

Greeting Community.  I was trying to research a question today and thought it was better to ask all of you!  I know the short answer is 'no', but I'm hoping the community will share how all of you have approached team teaching and shared editing!

I team teach a course with other teachers, and we all have access to the same course to add and edit content.  How can we know when content is added or edited and who added or edited the content? For example, if I add a quiz and then edit said quiz, can my team teachers see what was added/ edited by me?
4 Replies
josh_emmitt
Community Contributor

Hi Renee,

As far as I know the short answer at this stage is "no". Except when it comes to grading history when you can see that a grade for a student was changed, but not by who. In the pages tab, there is a "last edited" field with when and who last edited that page.

I am currently running a course with another teacher and we both have full access. My advice on this topic would be communication. Just make sure you each know what you have done and are working on. One way to do this would be to set up an unpublished module with unpublished pages for different things such as quizzes or pages. In each page you could keep a log with date/time on what was done. It is a bit round-a-bout but it would help to keep track of things.

Hope this helps,

Josh

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@Renee_Carney ​, I don't team-teach, but I do teach-build, sometimes with two or three other designers. We stage our tasks in a shared Google doc, and use the comments to assign or claim tasks and mark them as done. (In Google Docs, it's the comments, not the additions to the body of the Google Doc, that generate notifications and get the attention of the other document owners/editors).

So if I'm going to make an edit in a course, I first outline the change in the shared doc, then make the change in the course (an unpublished master), and then add a note to the Comment field for that item. Similarly, if a needed change comes up "on the fly"--while the course (always a copy of the master) is being facilitated--I go back to the Google Doc, note that a change is needed to the live course, make the changes in both the master and the live course, and end it with a comment.

This isn't exactly an analogous case, but I hope it helps.

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

When I was team teaching, my colleague and I would just email each other an overview of the changes we made, e.g., "I added a Latin dictionary to the Resources page." "I noticed this problem with question X so I fixed it."  We had f2f as well as online contact with each other and with the students, which undoubtedly made things easier.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Renee_Carney ​, this example isn't really about team teaching, but it may help.  We have a "Master Term" set up in Canvas where we initially build any online/blended (and sometimes traditional face-to-face) courses.  We then assign one (or sometimes two or three...depending on the situation) faculty member as the "author" of that "Master Term" course.  They can edit the course as needed.  All others who need to have access to the course (for purposes of importing content) get a custom "Viewer" role that we created.  As for the question of "how do you know when a course has been updated?"...  At the back end of the course name field in the "Settings" of a course, we have "[Updated On: Month/Date/Year]" wording we ask the "authors" to change as they make updates to the course.  This, however, does not say *who* made the changes (more important if there are multiple faculty members with "author" rights).

As has been mentioned above, the "Pages" section of a course does show the page history of changes.  However, it doesn't show what was changed from one revision to the next.  That is why I had created this Feature Idea (which has now been archived due to a lack of necessary votes): .  That would be similar to the Canvas Guides here in the Community were you can compare one version to another.