cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lee_coker
Community Member

Text Entry not counted as an on-time submission

Students who complete an Assignment via a text entry are receiving a zero for work submitted before the due date. Students who complete the Assignment via a File Upload do have their submission recorded.

Is anyone else having this problem?

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @lee_coker ...

In my testing of this in my own sandbox course, I was unable to replicate a student getting a zero as a grade after submitting an assignment that is set with a Text Entry submission.  Here are some screen shots:

This is the view the student would see:

Text Entry Assignment Details

Here is what the student would see once the Text Entry assignment has been submitted.

Text Entry Assignment Submission Details

Here is what it looks like from the instructor's view in the Gradebook.  I can click on the "T", but it doesn't show a zero score...it just shows there is no score: ___ / 15.  I also checked in the SpeedGrader, and it shows the same thing...no score out of 15.

Text Entry Assignment in Gradebook

You might want to contact the Canvas Help Desk to see if they can help diagnose what might be going on with your specific situation.  You can do that by clicking on "Help" on the left side of your Canvas environment, and then there should be some links to contact the Help Desk.

I hope this helps!

ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

@lee_coker , I agree with  @chofer  about contacting the help desk.  I tested this as well in a sandbox course using the new gradebook.  I also used a policy that would deduct points for late submissions.  Both text and attachment submissions were recorded and neither was counted late.

If you determine what is happening, please let me know.  I would be interested in knowing in case this arises with some of our faculty!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello once again,  @lee_coker ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I wanted to check in with you because we've not heard back from you since you first posted this question on February 13, 2018.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that ericwerth and I provided to you?  If so, did either of our responses help  to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance with this?  Also, have you tried reaching out to the Canvas Support folks to see if they might be able to assist you?  If so, would you mind sharing the outcome of that conversation with us here in this thread?  If you feel that either my response or Eric's response (above) has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  However, if you still have questions for members of the Community, please post a message below so that someone might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Mr. Coker.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.