cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bgoebel
Community Participant

Ticket to Test

I'm finding that even with study materials produced in multiple formats and available in multiple media, my 7th grade science students are reluctant to independently study materials provided for review and extended learning. As a result, many of my students do not deepen their understanding and successfully prepare for our rigorous assessments.

In the standards-referenced science classroom, there is always an option to do additional study and to take a retest for full replacement credit, and some students do access the additional materials when they are required to retest, but I would like to create a system to encourage (require?) deeper study and practice to prepare for assessment, rather than to remediate incomplete learning.

I'm considering creating a "Ticket to Test" that each student would keep as proof of their attempts at study, and as part of a learning portfolio. Only students who completed their tickets would be allowed to take the assessment as scheduled. With administrative support, reluctant learners would be completing the prep work in academic labs, at lunch time, and during advisory periods, if they were not able to do the work independently as homework.

My thought is to create something like a Google Sheet with a tab for each standard to be assessed. Each page of the spreadsheet would include places to record mini-quiz scores or a viewing log for the list of the simulators, videos, and other activities offered.

Before developing this document, perhaps someone in our wide community has a suggestion to offer. Is anyone out there doing some type of student driven data collection like this already? Is anyone having students use Canvas or Google products, or some other type of portfolio for this purpose?Find Answers@

independent learners‌ assessment‌ standards-based‌ accountability

9 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @bgoebel ...

I am going to share your question with the K-12‌ group here in the Canvas Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  If you are not yet following this group, use the link that I've provided, and then click on the "Follow" button at the top right corner of the page.  Also, you may need to click on "Actions" >> "Join group" which is also in that same location.  I hope this is okay with you.  Good luck!

bgoebel
Community Participant

Thanks, Chris.

After I posted that question, I found some ideas in an instructional design

group, too. That one suggested using the "requirements" feature in modules

to do what I'm thinking to do. It's not quite the same as what I had in

mind, but may get me where I need to go.

Barbara Goebel

7th grade Science

Savannah Middle School

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Honestly I was also thinking about requirements and/or prerequisites when reading your question. My recommendation is to check this out as well - https://community.canvaslms.com/people/kona‌. Even though it says students, it also helps you monitor progress to some extent as well. And then lest, for something else to consider see the following - https://community.canvaslms.com/people/kona‌. 

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @bgoebel ‌

Have you considered organizing your content into modules, then setting requirements for each module that the students must work through before an assessment may be accessed?  The best control is by using a combination of Module Requirements and Module prerequisites - set completion requirements for a module, then add your module assessment in a separate module, and set prerequisites for accessing that second module.

You can learn how at:

I hope this helps,

Kelley

bgoebel
Community Participant

This is getting me where I need to go. I'll experiment with this system. At

this point, my modules coincide with Units, including assessment, but

establishing the training module as a prereq for the assessment module

might do the trick. I'll be working with the requirements system for sure,

as I build the modules for next semester.

Barbara Goebel

7th grade Science

Savannah Middle School

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 12:19 PM, kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu <

Let us know how it works for you, Barbara, and if you need further help do not hesitate to ask.

Kelley

bgoebel
Community Participant

Is there a way to see everyone who has marked a required assignment as done? Before I go digging into their assignments, I want to address those who have not started on the requirements at all.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yes, from the Module page click on “View Progress” and select the name of a student. 

bgoebel
Community Participant

Thanks for the response, but viewing progress student by student will take

a very long time. I wonder if there is a way to view a whole section at a

time, either for a single requirement, or better still, for all

requirements in the module.

Hmmm?

Barbara Goebel

7th grade Science

Savannah Middle School

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 7:08 AM, kona@richland.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>