cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
veby
Community Member

Timed Assignments

Jump to solution

Is there a way to time limit an assignment?  For example: I have students do proofreads to improve their editing skills, as well as increase awareness of mistakes in their own writing. I want to limit the time for the assignment to prevent copying/pasting into sites such as Grammarly, which shows the mistakes and offers corrections.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stephen_taylor
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi Valerie,

The easiest way to do this would be to create a Quiz rather than an assignment.  Set it as a file upload or an essay for the answer and then in the settings give a time limit for how long they have to complete it.  

You can find out more about building quizzes with this guide: What is New Quizzes?  And this video:  

I hope this helps!

Stephen 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
stephen_taylor
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi Valerie,

The easiest way to do this would be to create a Quiz rather than an assignment.  Set it as a file upload or an essay for the answer and then in the settings give a time limit for how long they have to complete it.  

You can find out more about building quizzes with this guide: What is New Quizzes?  And this video:  

I hope this helps!

Stephen 

View solution in original post

akhuebel
Community Participant

Just so everyone knows, if you use the quiz tool, you can set the time limit, but if you are using the file upload question type, you cannot use the SpeedGrader annotation tools to mark up the file like you can if you are using the assignment tool.

If you really need to use the annotation tools to grade files the students upload, then quizzes won't work for you.  Using quizzes, you would need to download each student's file into a word processing program and use its comments/markup tool, then re-upload the file in the SpeedGrader comments.

Hello there, @akhuebel ...

...but if you are using the file upload question type, you cannot use the SpeedGrader annotation tools to mark up the file like you can if you are using the assignment tool.

If you really need to use the annotation tools to grade files the students upload, then quizzes won't work for you.  Using quizzes, you would need to download each student's file into a word processing program and use its comments/markup tool, then re-upload the file in the SpeedGrader comments.

You are correct.  This is also covered in both of the "File Upload" question type Guides for Classic Quizzes and New Quizzes in the blue box at the top of each page: