Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
henry_gee

Timestamp on assignment after class end-date

Jump to solution

I had a course end on July 27, 2017.  Assignments were given a close date of July 27, 2017.

However I set the course end date to Oct 31, 2017 to handle students with incompletes.

In cleaning up the queues of assignments for the final grades, (this is an area on the right side of the home screen, under the 'new announcement' and above the 'coming up' sections). I checked the area August 1 and there were no assignments listed to be graded.

Today, I noticed several assignments in this area that students submitted after the course ended on July 27, 2017.  They had a timestamp submission of July 27, 2017, 11:59 pm.  There were several students with this timestamp. 

Contrary to the timestamp, I believe that these items were submitted after August 1, when I finished the queue of to-be-graded assignments.  I am asking whether the timestamp comes from where the students may have left Canvas opened on the particular assignments, did not exit canvas, and submitted the assignment after July 27.

I have searched for whether this is the case but not successfully.

Could anyone clear this up?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tdelillo
Community Champion

Was this a normal (native) Canvas assignment, or did it utilize an external tool? I ask because the only only only time I've ever seen timestamps that I could prove to be wrong, it involved an external tool. Even then, it should not happen. 

I would submit a ticket to Canvas on this. The submission date/time should match when that submission button was pushed. If the assignment was locked, but the submission page was open prior to the deadline, submission would be disabled. If the assignment was due (but not locked), and the person submitted after the due date, the timestamp should show that it was submitted late.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
tdelillo
Community Champion

Was this a normal (native) Canvas assignment, or did it utilize an external tool? I ask because the only only only time I've ever seen timestamps that I could prove to be wrong, it involved an external tool. Even then, it should not happen. 

I would submit a ticket to Canvas on this. The submission date/time should match when that submission button was pushed. If the assignment was locked, but the submission page was open prior to the deadline, submission would be disabled. If the assignment was due (but not locked), and the person submitted after the due date, the timestamp should show that it was submitted late.

Thank you for the reply., 

These assignments were quizzes in canvas with speedgrader to handle them.

I will look into submitting a ticket and request a look-see.  I found it to be suspicious when several students' assignments had the same timestamp as well as several submissions from the same student, showing the close-of-course date at 11:59pm.

tdelillo
Community Champion

Oh, well, Quizzes are a little different. If the deadline for the quiz was 11:59pm on July 27th, then any quizzes that were started but not completed would auto-submit at that time. This assumes several things about the settings (did they have a time limit?), but that could account for why there are many with the same timestamp. So it seems like your real issue is why they didn't appear in your list of things to grade until after the fact. That would be a question that probably only Canvas support can answer.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@henry_gee ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie