Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sinman

Title IV Compliance and Roll Call

Hi community!

I have an important question about the Roll Call Attendance tool and student aid compliance (specifically Title IV compliance).

We need a way to export data on attendance for those students who withdraw from courses by the add/drop date. These students are entitled to the amount of Title IV funds they earned as of their withdrawal date. Regulations have gotten a bit stricter for courses in programs that don't span the entire length of the payment period or period of enrollment. Students can now be considered withdrawn if they don't attend all days or complete all clock hours they were scheduled to attend.

I am wondering if there are any schools out there who use Roll Call for this or other methods for meeting student aid compliance requirements?

Any insight you might have would be great!

Thanks and have a lovely weekend!

Sarah

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sinman ​, for us we relate it more to the last time a student submitted an assignment, which is why we use the following - Assignment Submissions Report Programming

Yet, we also use Alliance Partner - AspirEDU's DropoutDetective and they just recently implemented an amazing new feature that allows us to track attendance. I'm tagging  @Chris_Munzo ​ &  @kim ​ on this post so they can provide additional information.

kim
Partner
Partner

Hi Sarah! Nice to 'meet' you (and thank you, Kona, for the introduction)! It's been my experience that the definition of attendance varies based on the course modality. As Kona mentioned, in online courses, the last submission of an academic activity is generally used as the last date of attendance (LDA) for financial aid. Note that I specified an 'academic activity'... That is generally an assignment that has points assigned to it in the gradebook (i.e. not a syllabus quiz or a post made to a Coffee-shop type discussion). In traditional face-to-face courses, it is whether the student attended a scheduled class in person.  For those traditional courses, faculty either are asked to enter attendance directly into the SIS or to utilize Roll Call attendance within Canvas.

I'm admittedly a little bit biased, but Dropout Detective is by far the easiest way to get the LDA for online courses. I'll give you an example. Let's say that we're in week 3 of a course - and a student jumps into a week 1 discussion and makes a post. That could be hard to catch unless you are literally going into every submission made by a student and determining the most recent submission date. That LDA is one of the key factors in Dropout Detective (because for years, I was the person keeping tabs on the LDA of students and reporting it to FA). In addition, like Kona's assignment submissions report, we offer a similar list of all submissions made by a student in courses in exportable format.

All of the Roll Call attendance data is right within Canvas. The only limitation is that if you want to pull attendance for all students in all courses, you can only retrieve up to 7 days in each report request. You can obtain longer time periods if you pull attendance directly from within a course. One of the features in Dropout Detective is the ability to export that Roll Call data for the entire term (start date of course to today - not limited to the past 7 days (and we can display the latest attendance date in Dropout Detective as well)). If you're okay with pulling attendance for a max of 7 days at a time, the internal Canvas reporting should be fine for you. We do work with some schools that import our attendance files into their SIS. In those cases, they set their SIS to look for 'attendance exceptions' (i.e. the student has not attended in 'x' days, or has been absent for greater than 'x' course meetings). 

Feel free to reach out with any follow-up questions!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sinman 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie

sinman

Sounds great, Robbie. Thank you for checking back in. The only thing I would leave in closing is that we wish the Canvas data was a bit more accessible. We are finding that we might have to purchase another system or application to translate the data into something meaningful. I know it's all a work in progress so I'll keep hoping for advancements in the future!

Thanks