cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awarnock
Community Member

Total # of students submitted - why the 9+?

Jump to solution

Why has the "To Do" list of items to grade digressed to "9+" instead of actually showing how many students have submitted the assignment?  I am regularly looking to see "Oh good, 45 of my 50 students have submitted" or "Hmmmm.... only 23 of 50 have submitted, I should send a reminder". 

9+ is LESS information than we used to see.  Please bring back the actual count of submitted assignments.  Every single one now says 9+ and that's not helpful at all.

Aaron

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience on this. Last night we updated the beta environment to show instructors the exact number of gradable items in the To Do list. The indicator supports up to three digits. We've also aligned the icons and content so they look nicer with longer course and assignment names. These changes will be pushed into the production environment on March 12.

Thank you!

Erin

View solution in original post

21 Replies
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Aaron,

We are speaking with the product manager about this change and will share more information when it is available.

Thanks,

Erin

I couldn't agree with Aaron more. Can you ask the product manager why on earth he/she would offer a downgrade as an improvement? I have quite a bit of experience in web design, and this is as basic as it gets. The blue circles look nice, but less navigation and more information should take precedent.

Lance

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Aaron,

Our product manager would be interested to hear more about how you use the sidebar for your workflow. These changes were made in an attempt to simplify the Dashboard experience for the majority of our users, but if you feel like you cannot adjust to this change, please submit a support ticket. In your ticket, please share some of the thoughts you mentioned here as to why being able to view the exact number of gradable submissions is important to you.

Thank you!

Erin

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hello!

Thanks so much for all your thoughts and comments! We've received lots of great feedback that our product team is using to evaluate this change. (Please do not submit a support ticket.)

When we have an update for you, we'll post it here!

Thank you,

Erin

Erin Hallmark wrote:

Hello!

Thanks so much for all your thoughts and comments! We've received lots of great feedback that our product team is using to evaluate this change. (Please do not submit a support ticket.)

When we have an update for you, we'll post it here!

Thank you,

Erin

I take it you were flooded by tickets? Smiley Happy

I agree as well. I use the sidebar as a quick way to keep tabs on how many ungraded submissions are in an assignment. Because of the change, I have to open each assignment window separately in order to see how many submissions have been uploaded. With three classes hosted by Canvas, this involves a new time commitment, not to mention frustration when the connection is slow. The new design is frustrating and less helpful.

M1041874
Community Participant

Please STAHP! We get it!  9+ bad! :smileydevil:

akeenan
Community Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates this "upgrade".  I need to be able to see how many students have turned in an assignment.  Right now there's no easy way to do this.  Also, as I'm grading assignments I like to see the number decrease.  Please bring back the actual count!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings All.

We are moving the 9+ discussion from Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-02-20)   to this discussion.  All official updates on the 9+ issue will be here.  Please follow or bookmark this discussion to receive updates as they are available.

• Tammy McPherson Feb 20, 2016 11:15 AM (in response to James Jones)

This is the first thing I noticed when I saw this update upon entering Canvas this morning. I find accurate numbers to be helpful in a number of ways. They allow me to monitor submissions at a glance when dues time are approaching. I can prioritize and make plans for grading. I can get a quick idea if a student has submitted something outside an allowed time, for example if an assignment is required to be completed in class and the number goes up unexpectedly.  I can identify a possible setting error when I have a student submit something at a time he should not have been able to. There is a huge psychological component in reducing the numbers as grading goes on. If two characters are the limit, then surely capping the number at 99 even if there are over 100 submissions will at least allow for accurate numbers for most courses.  Otherwise, there is no point in having it there at all.9 of 9 people found this helpful
  • Dr. McKaleLevel 2

Dr. McKale Feb 20, 2016 1:26 PM (in response to James Jones)

I completely agree and I am sure that come Monday I am going to have a bunch of annoyed instructors.4 of 4 people found this helpful
  • Dr. McKaleLevel 2

Dr. McKale Feb 20, 2016 1:37 PM (in response to James Jones)

Now on the good side, clicking on the assignment name takes me to SpeedGrader rather than Assignment page.7 of 7 people found this helpful
  • Erin HallmarkLevel 5

Erin Hallmark Feb 20, 2016 2:44 PM (in response to James Jones)

HI James,FYI we already have a fix in place for making the long names line up more nicely with the numbers.  So I'll see if a number adjustment can be made as well.Thanks,Erin14 of 14 people found this helpful
  • Carrie Sickmann HanLevel 0

Carrie Sickmann Han Feb 21, 2016 5:48 AM (in response to James Jones)

I second the complaints listed here. Listing the total number of assignments to be graded allowed me to recognize quickly how many students hadn't submitted their assignments. It also made my grading more efficient. The logic behind this change baffles me, since it obscures the information instructors depend on, rather than making it more transparent.2 of 2 people found this helpful
  • Ed BatistaLevel 0

Ed Batista Feb 21, 2016 3:13 PM (in response to James Jones)

I can't agree with this more strongly.I'm an instructor who must track multiple assignment submissions in multiple courses simultaneously.Knowing the EXACT number of submitted assignments is very helpful.Knowing only that "more than 9" assignments have been submitted is NOT helpful at all.This is a big step backward in functionality and makes using Canvas much less appealing for me.I hope the precise number of submitted assignments is restore soon--thanks for listening.4 of 4 people found this helpful
  • Robert SparrowLevel 2

Robert Sparrow Feb 22, 2016 6:24 AM (in response to James Jones)

I also am here to report that we have several faculty who have written in over the weekend to express their frustration with this new change. The general consensus is if that button can display "9+" it should also be able to display double-digit figures for each of the items in the To-Do list. Unless there is a compelling reason for changing this feature, the faculty at our institution are requesting to change the To-Do list back to displaying the actual number of submissions to grade.4 of 4 people found this helpful
  • Sheree WebbLevel 1

Sheree Webb Feb 22, 2016 6:43 AM (in response to James Jones)

Yes, I heartily agree. I have already heard from one of our instructors about this loss of functionality, and I'm sure I'll be hearing from others as well.3 of 3 people found this helpful
  • Maureen RutherfordLevel 0

Maureen Rutherford Feb 22, 2016 7:46 AM (in response to James Jones)

Agreed!  I already dislike the 9+ assignments to be graded notification.  I don't have any courses that have fewer than 10 students.  Please fix! 3 of 3 people found this helpful
  • Alice JacksonLevel 0

Alice Jackson Feb 22, 2016 8:33 AM (in response to James Jones)

I have 151 students in my Canvas course, so I always seem to have 9+ assignments to grade. 9+ is not at all helpful in managing my workload, or in passing some of the grading on to my T.A.4 of 4 people found this helpful
  • Lydia PageLevel 2

Lydia Page Feb 22, 2016 9:29 AM (in response to James Jones)

I'll join the chorus here, as I heard from a few frustrated instructors over the weekend. Quickly identifying exactly how many assignments need to be graded is an essential functionality for our faculty.2 of 2 people found this helpful