cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rainandreasons
Community Member

Tracking login history

Jump to solution

I'm concerned my canvas account has been compromised by hacking. I've read I could find out the IP addresses of logins to my account, but is there any information on the specific computers/devices used to login? Would the device info have a name associated with it or just say something like "macbook"? How would I obtain this information?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello rainandreasons Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question here.  Sorry to read that you think your account may have been hacked.  Yes, if you talk with a Canvas admin at your school, he/she should be able to tell you some information about the page views, the dates accessed, and even the web browser used.  The admin would also be able to download a report which tells more information...including the IP address of the computer used to connect to Canvas.  You can read more about this by visiting this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10818-421473702  I hope this helps, Robert.

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

rainandreasons...

I would also suggest that if you feel your account has been compromised in some way...that you should change your password a.s.a.p.  Make it as complex as you can...using letters, numbers, special characters, etc.  Here are a few resources for you:

Hope this helps, Robert.

8 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello rainandreasons Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question here.  Sorry to read that you think your account may have been hacked.  Yes, if you talk with a Canvas admin at your school, he/she should be able to tell you some information about the page views, the dates accessed, and even the web browser used.  The admin would also be able to download a report which tells more information...including the IP address of the computer used to connect to Canvas.  You can read more about this by visiting this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10818-421473702  I hope this helps, Robert.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

rainandreasons...

I would also suggest that if you feel your account has been compromised in some way...that you should change your password a.s.a.p.  Make it as complex as you can...using letters, numbers, special characters, etc.  Here are a few resources for you:

Hope this helps, Robert.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again, rainandreasons...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I wanted to check in with you.  We've not heard back from you since you first posted your question here in the Community on January 20, 2018.  I am hopeful that you have been able to gather the information you needed to determine if your account had been compromised.  I am also hopeful that the information I gave you on January 20th was useful to you.  If you have any additional questions about this, please come back to this discussion thread to post a message below letting Community members know how we might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for almost four months.  However, this won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Robert.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

sisaacs1
Community Member

My canvas account at Chapman University just got hacked. The hackers turned my courses to be public facing. They added a creative commons button, saying all my materials were up for grabs.

I changed my password, I unpublished my courses.

I can delete the pages they hacked.

BUT -- they hacked into a root level: All of MY courses are hijacked with some "ZOOM" overlay. How can my school's IT people fix this? Do they need to delete my entire account and rebuild?

Good morning,  @sisaacs1 ...

That's quite strange.  I would highly recommend that you reach out to your school's local Canvas administrator or your school's Online Learning / eLearning department right away to see if they can help investigate this for you.  (We here in the Community don't have access to your school's Canvas environment or your courses.)  I went to your school's website, and I found the following page which has a form for you to fill out: Contact us about Canvas | IS&T | Chapman University.  Hopefully, that will get you the information you need....good luck!

sisaacs1
Community Member

Hi, Chris: Thanks so much for responding! Unfortunately, that's where I went first, and they're at a loss. (also, we are in full COVID19 lockdown, so everyone's head is turned around. Chapman's IST is reaching to Canvas. let's hope they, too, don't get sent to a FAQ. Anyway, I appreciate your reply.  Smiley Happy 

@sisaacs1 ...

If you've already tried reaching out to your school's local support, then the next thing I would suggest is contacting the folks at the Canvas Help Desk.  How to contact Canvas Support

Good luck!

kayser
Community Participant

Hi,

Recently I was given Admin capability on my school's account. I now have a "deandarren" hacking my account as though he is teaching hacking to students. They are latching onto my class Sidebar, entering pages related to System Dumps, Cite Exams, Dump Exams, Hero Plus advertisements. He's enrolling students into it. I've changed my password twice a day for 4 days. A friend said I needed to dump all my cookies, history, saved passwords. I did that, he still got back in. Another friend said to disentangle my Chrome from Google as in stop Google from remembering connections... I did not know what he meant. Can you offer some ways to help get rid of this hacker for good?