cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennifersmith
Community Member

Translating Question (Spanish Teacher)

We have a Spanish teacher wondering if there is a way to block internet access while in Canvas.  Her concern is that students will use Google Translate by simply copying and pasting cheating.  Thoughts?

Tags (2)
7 Replies
MattHanes
Community Champion

Our school district created a login for our (Windows) computers that is completely locked down. The instructor will have the students login with this special username and the only thing that is available is a fullscreen Google Chrome window that opens to the Canvas login page. This login has firewall permissions that have only Canvas whitelisted. We asked their Customer Support for a whitelist and it works perfectly.

Another option (not free) is to purchase something like Repondus Lockdown Browser which has Canvas integration. We don't use this because our solution works for our purposes but I've read about other Districts using it sucessfully.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm wondering if we should somehow combine this question with this question...since they are very similar (and both people are from the same school): copy and paste.  Just thinking that it would be best to have all these conversations in one spot rather than two separate postings ... in the event that others are searching for similar topics.

MattHanes
Community Champion

Does anyone know how to Voltron these questions together?

voltron.gif

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

That is awesome! Smiley Happy

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Jennifer, may we assume that you're talking about blocking students when they're using computers at school? There is simply no way to prevent students from accessing other devices if they're working from home or remotely.

Yes

Sent from my iPhone

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

As I mentioned the other day, there is a similar conversation going on over at copy and paste, and I checked with the Canvas Community Managers.  I'm going to lock this particular discussion topic so that we can keep all discussion about this issue in one spot.  Again, please use copy and paste for further discussion around this topic.  Thanks.