cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
distance_ed1
Community Participant

Treat Ungraded as Zero? - Does it work or not?

Jump to solution

Hey! So I've got a faculty member that's having issues with 'Treat Ungraded as Zero' not behaving as expected. We're able to select this under Global Settings in the Individual View, but the New Gradebook FAQ has some ambiguous language as to whether or not the feature should be available at all.

I've suggested to the faculty member to use a Missing Submission policy to achieve the results he's looking for, but I'm still looking for some guidance as to whether or not selecting that button actually does anything at all? My search of the previously answered questions here hasn't turned up anything, I'm afraid.

All the best,
Danielle

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
snugent
Community Champion

The treat ungraded as zero option is only available in the current gradebook. It is an often misunderstood feature since students do not see the results of the change. 

In the new gradebook you can setup late and missing policies that will automatically put score in the cell when criteria is met. This will apply to ALL assignments in the gradebook. 

In both gradebooks you can default grade for individual column. 

You can see the design rationale for the new gradebook here. 

Gradebook Enhancements: Design Rationale 

I hope that helps. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
snugent
Community Champion

The treat ungraded as zero option is only available in the current gradebook. It is an often misunderstood feature since students do not see the results of the change. 

In the new gradebook you can setup late and missing policies that will automatically put score in the cell when criteria is met. This will apply to ALL assignments in the gradebook. 

In both gradebooks you can default grade for individual column. 

You can see the design rationale for the new gradebook here. 

Gradebook Enhancements: Design Rationale 

I hope that helps. 

View solution in original post

gulick_24
Community Participant

Unfortunately none of this solves the actual issue --> that students need to be able to see their final grade in the course if they do nothing else in the course. Many students think they can skip the final exam because their current final grade is an A, but without doing the exam, it falls to a C. Then they're surprised they got a C... "but I had an A!" etc. Can't tell you how many times I've had that conversation with students. (As an academic advisor, I'm the one the students come to to complain about this for quite a number of courses.)