cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adam_piper

Trouble Saving Edited Discussions & Assignments

Sorry if this isn't a new thing, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the guides or in this forum...

I recently imported content to my Fall 2017 courses from my Fall 2016 courses, removing the due dates.  I need to make a few tweaks in the assignments and discussions I'm using this year, so I want to edit some of these existing assinments.  I was able to successfully edit the titles, descriptions and details of several assignments in multiple courses, until I couldn't save my edits any longer.  For some reason, on about the 15th assignment I was editing, when I clicked the SAVE button or the SAVE AND PUBLISH button at the bottom of the page, nothing happened.  I can still click the CANCEL button to return to my list of discussions without saving any changes, but I cannot save any new edits.

After a lot of trial and error, it seems that this only happens if the "Graded" checkbox is selected.  If I uncheck the "Graded" box, I can save the edited file just fine.  Of course, that means that I no longer have any point value or due dates, which is of course not useful.  Later, if I come back and edit again, rechecking the "Graded" box, I can in fact save the edited file provided that I only edit the grading details (nothing else).  This is very strange, and was extremely frustrating in trying to manage 4 courses in Canvas, at least until I figured out the little work around above.  

I have used Canvas for 5 years and do not remember having this problem before this week.  I have tried three browsers (Chrome, Edge, and IE) and two different PC's (each running Windows 10), and had the same problem with the same assignments.  Can you give me any advice on how to avoid this problem altogether as I create and edit assignments and discussions?

Thanks,

Adam

10 Replies
adam_piper

Oh, and the workaround mentioned above regarding the "Graded" checkbox only works on the Discussions.  There is no such checkbox on Assignments, and so I cannot figure out how to edit those at the current time.  For Assignments, the triggering event seems to be editing any text in the description (e.g. editing the title only does not cause a problem).

awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Hey  @adam_piper  Welcome to the community! This definitely doesn't sound right. If you're only modifying the description and finding yourself unable to save those changes, I would definitely file a support ticket. Check out https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10158-4152719652?sr=search&searchId=4165dcbf-26db-499a-8ab0... for more info on that process.

One thing that can make Canvas act weird is old cache or cookie files. In a lot of cases clearing the cache or cookies for your browser will resolve unusual behavior. You did mention that you tried different browsers, but I would go ahead and ensure Chrome is up to date, clear the cache and cookies (warning: this will log you out of websites you're logged in to), and if you're still able to reproduce the issue, contact support.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or concerns.

adam_piper

Thanks, awilliams. I will try the cache cleaning thing, but I am not hopeful because as you mentioned, I tried other browsers and another PC that I don't typically use. So that's unlikely to fix it and will just end up being an inconvenience for all of the sites I'll have to recover passwords for.  I in fact submitted a ticket before I posted here. But, since my institution does not have an "institutional support schedule" because I use a Free-for-Teachers account, my ticket is not likely to be handled very quickly.  Thus, why I came here hoping that someone knows how this went wrong.  So, any other ideas?

Honestly that sounds super strange and isn't something I've experienced or heard of our faculty experiencing. Even though you're using Free for Teachers, I'd still go ahead and put in a ticket for it.

schroederbill
Community Participant

Adam, I just had a faculty member come to me with the same problem.  We have put in a ticket and I'll update you all if we hear anything.

Oh, good.  This means I'm not crazy.  Well, it's not more evidence that I AM crazy, at least.  Smiley Happy I appreciate the help.

Thanks  @schroederbill ‌. If you wouldn't mind sharing your case # with  @adam_piper ‌ he could use that in his case to assist the support agents with investigating them as related issues. Adam, don't worry, it'll get sorted out by our powers combined!

text reading 'if you have crazy friends you have everything'

PS. If you're able to nail down exactly how to reproduce the issue, I'm sure plenty of us would be willing to try reproducing it from our ends and if I could reproduce it I would report it as well.

adam_piper

Hi, all.  After the work on this last month, the problem seemed to disappear.  However, today I am having the same trouble that I had saving edited assignments.  This is particularly frustrating because I am now in week 4 of the term instead of pre-term like I was last time.  Any thoughts?

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@adam_piper ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie