cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tina_luffman
Community Participant

Trouble with opening or deleting student paper using Turnitin in Canvas

A student submitted an essay into Turnitin in Canvas. The format is one that I can't open. I have gone into Assignments and deleted it, but the assignment still lingers when I go into the gradebook. The student is therefore unable to resubmit this assignment. Here is the message I am receiving. Any ideas on how to get to the paper or delete it?

Tina

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>InternalError</Code>
<Message>
We encountered an internal error. Please try again.
</Message>
<RequestId>16D973E98BB5BD73</RequestId>
<HostId>
D15RoIHs8q5UvhMlpfQbjM7IZ7BG9W9OuBWB1knVCoxBu5zWPkep0Lb25/yAgum8abhEYgskpLU=
</HostId>
</Error>
9 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @tina_luffman ‌ - This may be totally unrelated, but at the moment Canvas and the box file service which renders the crocodoc documents in Canvas are both affected by an Amazon Web Services outage that is taking place in certain parts of the country.  Not sure if Turnitin is in this mix or not.

Check here:

Box Status 

and

Canvas Status 

awilliams
Community Champion

Hey  @tina_luffman ‌,

Is this a problem you just noticed today? There have been a myriad of strange error messages today from the AWS (Amazon Web Services) outage. I am not sure if this is related but it may be worth double checking in a while after all services are restored. 

In the more likely event this is not related at all to today's events, I am going to tag our local Turnitin expert,  @dhulsey ‌ to see if he has any experience with this process.

dhulsey
Community Champion

Hey, Tina! Just to be sure, you deleted the assignment from the Turnitin inbox, right? It looks like this:

218766_pastedImage_1.png

You should be able to click the trashcan, which should delete the assignment. However, Canvas will still show a submission exists, but the student should be able to resubmit to TII.

Of course, Adam could be onto something. Half the web had a meltdown today, so maybe you could try it again and see if it works now?

tina_luffman
Community Participant

HI Adam,

This issue began prior to today, but I do appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

Tina

Tina Luffman, MA

tina.luffman@yc.edu<mailto:tina.luffman@yc.edu>

(928) 634-6582

tina_luffman
Community Participant

Hi Dallas,

Yes, I deleted the assignment from the Turnitin assignment area like the picture you show.

Tina

Tina Luffman, MA

(928) 634-6582

tina_luffman
Community Participant

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your email. Apparently my issue is not related to the Amazon outage since the problem has been going on since Saturday.

Thanks!

Tina

Tina Luffman, MA

(928) 634-6582

I would say it is time to file a support ticket with Turnitin then. I am sure they will be able to delete the paper for you if you send them the paper id. I would be curious to hear what caused the problem though.

tina_luffman
Community Participant

Hi Dallas,

Thank you for letting me know. I will check with Turnitin.

Tina

Tina Luffman, MA

(928) 634-6582

tina_luffman
Community Participant

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your support. When I get a response, I will let you know.

Tina

Tina Luffman, MA

(928) 634-6582