cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ihrabric
Community Member

Turn of spellcheck

Jump to solution

I created a quiz to assess spelling. Unfortunately, when the students type in the "Fill in the blank" box, spellcheck will mark the word incorrect and right clicking will bring up options. Is there a way to turn off spell check?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ihrabric ‌

Canvas does not have a native spell-checker, so this is most likely a function of the browser they are using. Firefox, Safari and Chrome include a spell-checker, IE does not have one.

I would suspect that the only way to control this would be to have students attempt the quiz in a student computer lab, with just IE loaded. However, IE comes with it's own host of problems. Also, a quick Google search found resources for disabling spell checkers on the big three.

I hope this helps, even though it is not the answer you were hoping for.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ihrabric ‌

Canvas does not have a native spell-checker, so this is most likely a function of the browser they are using. Firefox, Safari and Chrome include a spell-checker, IE does not have one.

I would suspect that the only way to control this would be to have students attempt the quiz in a student computer lab, with just IE loaded. However, IE comes with it's own host of problems. Also, a quick Google search found resources for disabling spell checkers on the big three.

I hope this helps, even though it is not the answer you were hoping for.

View solution in original post

ihrabric
Community Member

Oh the irony of wanting to turn "of" spellcheck. 🙂

Thanks for the reply. This was the conclusion I had reached and unfortunately, we are not in a situation where those suggestions are viable options. I guess we will have to explore on outside program like Quizlet.

All the best,

Ivan