cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
megankoontz
Community Participant

Turn off Late/Missing assignments

Jump to solution

I can see the value of the late/missing assignment notifications, but they don't work for the way our school works.  We have suggested dates, but no hard deadlines until the end of the semester.  Is there any way to turn this feature off?

Thank you

Megan Koontz

Midwives College of Utah

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Everyone ~ Thanks for sharing the custom CSS and the links for the feature ideas. However, in Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-10-07)  there was an update. The missing/late labels were completely removed!

View solution in original post

10 Replies
mwatson2
Community Participant

You could hide them with CSS. It looks like the class names to hide are submission-late-pill and submission-missing-pill. so including

.submission-late-pill, .submission-missing-pill {
   display: none;
}

in the custom CSS uploaded in the Theme Editor should do the trick.

megankoontz
Community Participant

Thank you, Matt.  I'll try that but it's the first time I'm done it.  I'll look around for info about uploading CSS.  Thank goodness there is a test instance......

lhaavig
Community Member

It gets worse!  I GRADED an assignment (my students turned it in on paper) and CANVAS is STILL showing them that they are missing the assignment.  I need a way that students have the option of submitting work on-line or to me on paper.  I need a way that students who submit on paper will NOT have the assignment marked "missing" but students who did not hand in the assignment or upload it will be marked as "missing."  

Furthermore, not assigning due dates (this is what was suggested to me when I called trying to resolve this problem) is unacceptable because I want my students to be able to use the calendar feature to help manage their work load.

For now, I am switching all my assignments to "on paper" submission and having students who want to submit on-line email me their work.  I am VERY NOT HAPPY with this work around.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Everyone ~ Thanks for sharing the custom CSS and the links for the feature ideas. However, in Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-10-07)  there was an update. The missing/late labels were completely removed!

View solution in original post

Sadly, the labels came back with the New Gradebook Smiley Sad

With the new gradebook, is there a way to remove the 'late' showing up for students? 

lhaavig
Community Member

Sorry, no.  This is NOT solved.  It's 2021 and the problem still exists.  I found the posts - this has been a continuous problem since 2015.  It's about time (overdue) that CANVAS implemented a feature that allows the instructor to turn off the missing tag or assignments that are submitted on-line (so that on the hopefully rare occasion - hey this happens whenever the Canvas App goes down - when a student submits it by handing it to an instructor or emailing it), we as instructors can toggle off the missing flag on the assignment for that student.