Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jschaffer
Community Champion

Turnitin Report as an Admin

Jump to solution

Hello Team, 

I am looking for some help.  Right now we have the TII LTI setup in several of our courses.  However, as an admin I am unable to go into the course and review the actual similarity report for a student unless I am enrolled into that course with a valid role.  Is there any way around this (i.e. a parameter we can use in the LTI)?  This would really help with remediation and tutoring outside the course.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dhulsey
Community Champion

I do not think there is any way around having a role in the course, Jason. As Chris says, TII needs an email to create and allow access to a TII acoount.  My guess is that this is by design to prevent privacy violations. The TII LTI has to know who you are before releasing data protected by FERPA.

For what it is worth, we have a tutor role at my school, and we enroll tutors in courses so that they can help keep an eye on students. This also lets tutors and students use Canvas messaging to communicate, and it is working quite well.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi jschaffer‌...

I've never heard of an additional parameter that you could add to do what you want.  The Turnitin LTI is looking for an email address tied to the Canvas account in order to use it (so that's why you cannot use the "Test Student" account with the Turnitin LTI).  Since I'm not 100% sure, though, I'm going to tag  @dhulsey ‌ in my response to see if he is aware of anything that might help.

dhulsey
Community Champion

I do not think there is any way around having a role in the course, Jason. As Chris says, TII needs an email to create and allow access to a TII acoount.  My guess is that this is by design to prevent privacy violations. The TII LTI has to know who you are before releasing data protected by FERPA.

For what it is worth, we have a tutor role at my school, and we enroll tutors in courses so that they can help keep an eye on students. This also lets tutors and students use Canvas messaging to communicate, and it is working quite well.

View solution in original post

jschaffer
Community Champion

That makes sense.  I appreciate the feedback and tips.  

lindalee
Community Champion

Hi Jason,

We've also come across this limitation as admins supporting courses using Turnitin LTI. Typically, we either masquerade as instructors or enroll ourselves as TAs as needed.

Good luck!

-Linda