cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lbarratt1
Community Member

Turnitin in Canvas

Jump to solution

i heard there is a specific sequence in using a rubric with Turnitin in Canvas.

i heard that a rubric needs to be created first and can't be added after the assignment has been created.

does anyone have experience with the sequence issue?

thanks so much.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@lbarratt1 , first of all, a general note: For all things Turnitin,  @dhulsey ​'s superb blog Canvas and Turnitin​ is a must read.

Secondly, the answer to your question depends on whether you're using the Turnitin API (also known as the Legacy API) or the Turnitin LTI. If the latter, you must create the assignment by selecting External Tool as your assignment type--and once you do that, the option to add a rubric disappears. Therefore, yes, you must first create the assignment as a regular online submission assignment, then attach your rubric, and last, change the assignment settings to External Tool.

If you're using the Turnitin API--which is soon going away--then you can create the assignment as you normally would simply by enabling the Turnitin checkbox and limiting the file submission types.

Dallas's blog and the extensive conversation under it goes into considerably more detail on this, and I highly recommend it.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@lbarratt1 , first of all, a general note: For all things Turnitin,  @dhulsey ​'s superb blog Canvas and Turnitin​ is a must read.

Secondly, the answer to your question depends on whether you're using the Turnitin API (also known as the Legacy API) or the Turnitin LTI. If the latter, you must create the assignment by selecting External Tool as your assignment type--and once you do that, the option to add a rubric disappears. Therefore, yes, you must first create the assignment as a regular online submission assignment, then attach your rubric, and last, change the assignment settings to External Tool.

If you're using the Turnitin API--which is soon going away--then you can create the assignment as you normally would simply by enabling the Turnitin checkbox and limiting the file submission types.

Dallas's blog and the extensive conversation under it goes into considerably more detail on this, and I highly recommend it.

dhulsey
Community Champion

Stefanie is correct. If you are using the LTI version of Turnitin and if you wish to do your grading in the canvas Speedgrader instead of Turnitin's Grademark, then you need to add the Canvas rubric before enabling the Turnitin LTI. If you do not, you cannot add a Canvas rubric later for that assignment. If this has caught you unawares and you need to get some grading done, one option is to use Turnitin's Grademark to grade the papers because you can add a Turnitin rubric to the assignment at any point.  I hope that helps, Leona. Smiley Happy

Thank you both Chris and Stefanie. You've saved a lot of potential headaches. Smiley Happy

vrs07nl
Community Contributor

These are the key settings for UK to ensure can access Tii ORs via Assignment page as well as via any link Speedgrader or Grades (before due date)

tii+settings.png

Testing has confirmed that a student who successfuly submits can view the Originality Report

a) from same assignment page within 1-5 mins of first submission

b) from Grades but only before due date  ( there is at least 10 - 15  min delay from first submission for the link to appear in Grades)

A marker using Turnitin Grademark and Turnitin rubric should only access via Assignments - NOTE once a submission has been marked - marker cannot see Tii colour in Grades view

my top tips :

a) access submissions one by one from Assignment view to avoid time out issues i.e close Turnitin window after complete marking each submission using GradeMark and rubric etc ( do not go to next submission from Turntin window - more likely to get timeout - adding comments and completing rubric = activity, scrolling up ad down is not activity and time out is after 30 mins of inactivity

b) start with adding  inline comments, reviewing them to aid rubric completion, then add and SAVE general comments, enter grade LAST

c)  update grade at any time before feedback due date via Turnitin ( if not anonymous marking) - grades changes in Turnitin  feed to grades ( not vica versa)

d) only add comments to Turntin view - NOT speedgrader / grades as such comments are not linked directly to the Turnitin feedback

NOTE once a submission has been marked - marker cannot see Tii colour in Grades view

If marking with Speedgrader and only checking originaliity - can access the OR from Speedgrader view ( but Grademark will not be available)

Students can see their turnitin feedback  only via Assignment (if go via home page> recent feedback or Grades_ only see grade in speedgrader - not Turnitn comments, rubric etc). Best access to inline comments etc is by clicking pen icon from Assignment view (can then switch to OR if wish to)

stevensons
Community Contributor

Hi  @dhulsey ‌ and stefaniesanders‌!

Sorry if this question has already been answered elsewhere--I haven't found a specific answer yet. I was wondering about Turnitin assignments that have been copied to a new course--if I attached a rubric last semester, is it still there, or do I need to re-create the assignment in order to attach the rubric? Is there any way to check or view whether the rubric is there? (Unlike Discussion assignments, there isn't a clear "view rubric" item on the assignment page.)

THANK YOU

Sarah

dhulsey
Community Champion

Hi,  @stevensons ‌! If the rubric is a Canvas rubric, then it stays attached to the assignment. If you are using a Turnitin rubric, you will want to confirm it is attached by visiting the optional settings in Turnitin for that assignment after launching Turnitin from the Canvas assignment. Does that help?

stevensons
Community Contributor

Yes, thanks, that does help!

It's a Canvas rubric that I attached to a particular set of Turnitin assignments. Is there any way to see if a Canvas rubric has been attached (without publishing the assignment and going into the SpeedGrader)? One of my issues is that I forgot to attach a rubric to one assignment last semester, but I can't remember which one...

dhulsey
Community Champion

I don't know. Smiley Sad I always publish my assignments as soon as I create them. I am sure someone else will come along with an answer though. Sorry that I could not be more help  @stevensons .