cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
am_jagusztyn
Community Participant

TutorialStep-by-Step Custom Gradebook Column

Jump to solution

Does anyone have a step-by-step tutorial for someone with a non-IT background to create a custom gradebook column. I have no issues reading this documentation, but I have no idea where to even begin. What do I write in? (Google Doc? Word? Something different?) Where do I upload what I've written? I'm really looking for a step-by-step instruction on how to create these custom columns. They are not for teacher notes. We are trying to add recovery credit exams into our Canvas courses (1) the grade the student got (we do not want it to affect the gradebook, we are using grade override for that), (2) reason for failing RCO (got below passing/did not show) (3) reason for needing to take RCO (below passing/dropped out/academic leave). Can anyone help on this? It would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Ariel,

The guide page you reference is for using APIs to create the column.  Application programming interface - Wikipedia There are some browser extensions which might allow you to run them, but I'm not sure that really is what you are looking for.

It sounds to me that you are wanting a column to hold a grade (that doesn't count in the grade calculations), and then two more columns for text about that grade.  How will the actual data get populated into these column?  Are you looking to push the data in from an outside source or will someone be simply entering the information like an instructor would enter exam grades normally?

If it's just information an instructor would be manually adding; I think your best bet is to create assignments for each of those items, or an assignment to hold the score (but not count towards grade), and used comments or a rubric even for the extra text information.    

I created a video with some ideas about how you might do this.  I had a couple of new thoughts while I was creating it so you'll see a few different ideas.  It's also a bit longer than I intended, but see if it helps at all.  If I totally missed the point of what you are trying to accomplish let me know and maybe someone might have some other ideas for you.

VidGrid - Canvas Community: Custom Gradebook Column  

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Ariel,

The guide page you reference is for using APIs to create the column.  Application programming interface - Wikipedia There are some browser extensions which might allow you to run them, but I'm not sure that really is what you are looking for.

It sounds to me that you are wanting a column to hold a grade (that doesn't count in the grade calculations), and then two more columns for text about that grade.  How will the actual data get populated into these column?  Are you looking to push the data in from an outside source or will someone be simply entering the information like an instructor would enter exam grades normally?

If it's just information an instructor would be manually adding; I think your best bet is to create assignments for each of those items, or an assignment to hold the score (but not count towards grade), and used comments or a rubric even for the extra text information.    

I created a video with some ideas about how you might do this.  I had a couple of new thoughts while I was creating it so you'll see a few different ideas.  It's also a bit longer than I intended, but see if it helps at all.  If I totally missed the point of what you are trying to accomplish let me know and maybe someone might have some other ideas for you.

VidGrid - Canvas Community: Custom Gradebook Column  

Rick

View solution in original post

Hi Rick Murch-Shafer , you really went above and beyond and I really appreciate you showing these methods. Everything in the video is clear and I'm going to try it out shortly. Here is further information if you're able to help: 1) this data is the going to get synced with Salesforce. I have to ask how it will pull data from the rubrics. I know having the columns will definitely work, but then I wonder if the rubric data is to granular, although I do like housing it in one area. 2) We're still considering how and who we want to enter the data. At first, I was thinking to have the column be read only for the instructor and an admin would be doing this, and my second concern is the amount of time it would take to manually update this. We use Blueprints, so I can add this to each course preemptively, but then adding the data later still seems time consuming. I was hoping to use a csv file of sorts, but then this file would need to update every student who took the RCO within their course. We are also considering just housing this data in Salesforce which we're looking into as well, but I wanted to see how Canvas could handle the data. If you have any other ideas, I'd be happy to hear.