Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j_jenkins

Two Due Dates in a Discussion?

Jump to solution

I want to have two due dates for my graded discussions. The first due date is for students who are assigned to post an original reflection. The second due date is for all the other students to add responses/replies to those reflections. I can put the students in two groups, but if I do, I don't think the second group will be able to access the reflections posted by the first group. Is there a way to have two due dates in a discussion and still allow all students to access all aspects of the discussion?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@j_jenkins , you are correct that if you put the students in groups they won't be able to see each other's posts to the discussion. Something you could try is using the differentiate due dates tool. For this you would set which specific students (so group, but don't use the actual group functionality) had the initial due date and then which had the second due date. For your use case this should work pretty much exactly as you want. Here are the directions that explain how to do this - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9971-4152101243 (ignore that it says individual - you can add as many individual students to a date as you want)

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@j_jenkins , you are correct that if you put the students in groups they won't be able to see each other's posts to the discussion. Something you could try is using the differentiate due dates tool. For this you would set which specific students (so group, but don't use the actual group functionality) had the initial due date and then which had the second due date. For your use case this should work pretty much exactly as you want. Here are the directions that explain how to do this - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9971-4152101243 (ignore that it says individual - you can add as many individual students to a date as you want)

Hope this helps!