cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
casem

Two-Part Discussion Managment

Jump to solution

Discussion Management. 

I have the same threaded discussion assigned to each student individually. Each student must make an initial post by mid-week before being allowed to see other's posts. Then, they need to reply to two of their classmate's posts by the end of the week. 

When I make the assignment I set a due date of mid-week. NO problem, I am notified assignment is completed and ready for grading. However, I have no way of knowing when a student has subsequently replied to two classmates so that I can then go in and grade the second part of the assignment. Short of waiting for the deadline or scrolling through the discussions, how can I get notified so I don't have to bundle all the grading on discussion until the end of the week? 

Thanks so much!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@casem , short of having students email you to let you know, the only thing I can think of is to get the discussion notifications sent to you so that way you can see that a student has done their follow-up and then go grade it. 

Kona

View solution in original post

12 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@casem , short of having students email you to let you know, the only thing I can think of is to get the discussion notifications sent to you so that way you can see that a student has done their follow-up and then go grade it. 

Kona

Kona-

Thanks for your reply, although I would still have to track the number of replies I received from each student. With a couple of sections that becomes tedious.

BBlearn had the ability to set a minimum number of replies before it would flag it for grading.

It think it common to have this arrangement in grad classes - requiring responses to other’s posts- and it sure would be nice to have this feature.

Sent from my iPhone

@casem ‌, you're not alone in wanting this in discussions. Please add your support to https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1555-multiple-due-dates-checkpoints-for-discussions and https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3898-option-for-setting-a-number-of-discussion-posts-required-... , both of which are open for voting at this writing.

Will do! Thank you Stefanie!

Sent from my iPhone

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@casem , I agree that having students post and checking the number of posts is important. In addition, I believe frequently done in undergraduate, as well as graduate classes. What I do for my class is mute the discussion, grade the initial post (using my discussion rubric), and then come back after the follow-up post due date to do the rest of my grading. 

Kona

Kona -

Thanks, yes I do the same muting the grades and mass marking on Mondays

after the due date of midnight Sunday. When I have tried to get a jump on

it inevitably I miss someone's late in the afternoon postings and as

mentioned it requires some poking to see who has posted all required. It

just would be nice to be able to grade them in pieces as they come in and

as time allows as I usually have other assignments due too on Sunday

Midnight.

I voted for both enhancements!

oneill_edward
Community Member

I set the due date for the REPLY-TO-PEERS deadline.

I never use the system to prevent students from posting (to close assignments), as then I'd have to create exceptions for every student who asks, and it's not worth my time. If I want to mark students down for being late, I can see the time they posted and do so. But I only want to encourage general timeliness, not discourage a tiny bit of lateness.

You can then put the FIRST due date in the title of the Discussion. Or you can remind them with an Announcement. 

If you want, you can make the FIRST deadline an Assignment with no submission. That way it shows up on the calendar. The description should then link to the Discussion. 

But all the points are still on the Discussion with the second deadline. So you have to make sure the points and rubric are correct. 

casem

Hi Edward, 

Thanks for your reply. If I understand you correctly, with your method you can not grade the initial posting until all post have been completed. If so, this somewhat addresses the goal of allowing grading as completions occur rather than all at once at the end  if the students post initial responses along with their responses to peers throughout the week.... An imperfect solution but better than manually scanning for who has entered their required peer postings.

I will try it on a discussion thread.

Thanks,

Margaret 

You can grade anything any time you want, as long as it's published.

I often go in the day after Discussion posts are due but BEFORE the replies are done, and add that initial round of points.

Sometimes students then ask "why did I get only x points and not x+y points which is the maximum"--when they don't look at the rubric.

For this reason I often add a comment after my substantive/gracious comment ("Thanks for sharing, you wrote a lot and said a lot..."): "The rest of the points will be added when you reply to two peers."

[P.S. It's all imperfect...  Smiley Happy ]