Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ek
Community Participant

Two questions on email automation

Jump to solution

Hi,

1. When I have an assignment with a due date, is there a way to get Canvas to automatically email students with a reminder to finish the assignment for the students that haven't completed the assignment yet. A few days before the due date?

2. When a student completes a course, is there a way to get Canvas to automatically send an email to a specific person saying that student has completed the course?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
agschmid
Community Contributor

Hi Eric,

I wrote something up about using the conversations api. Maybe this will help?

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15537-conversations-api-able-to-create-messages-with-a-new-... 

Andrea

View solution in original post

5 Replies
stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ek ,

Natively there is no way to automatically do this (at this time). However, I wanted to pull together a wealth of information to give you the available options today.

For your first request, you can use the 'Message students who' feature in the Gradebook to send messages to students who have not yet submitted an assignment. You can find more detail on this here How do I send a message to my students from the Gradebook?

While that doesn't take care of the automation, there is a current feature request open for this which you may wish to vote on https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8585-generate-automatic-messages-to-students-who-do-not-submit...  (that would take care of the remainder of the first request).

With regards to the second feature you are looking at, I am not aware of any options to do this at this point in time. Do you have any development skills either yourself or at your institution. Using the Canvas APIs you could put together a custom development which could take care of this for you. If that is something you are open to, I can share this with the Canvas Developers‌ group who could assist you further. Please let me know if you would like to go down that path.

I hope that helps!

Stuart

ek
Community Participant

Hi Stuart, thanks for the information. I think doing the manual message or even an announcement on the course will work in the short-term. I also noticed there's a notification option for due date where I might be able to get the students to change it to daily reminder.

I have done some work with the Canvas API before, sounds good to learn more

agschmid
Community Contributor

Hi Eric,

I wrote something up about using the conversations api. Maybe this will help?

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15537-conversations-api-able-to-create-messages-with-a-new-... 

Andrea

View solution in original post

ek
Community Participant

Hi Andrea, this looks interesting. I can see how I might be able to use this to automatically send out a new conversation a few days before a due date for a course. Thanks for the link!

stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ek ,

Awesome, it is always fun to get into the API. I wrote up a good overall tips and tricks document Canvas APIs: Getting started, the practical ins and outs, gotchas, tips, and tricks‌ which I recommend as a starting point. I can also see that Andrea has linked you to her great resource as well.

If you get stuck, please let us know and we can help out. I also recommend joining the Canvas Developers‌ group if you haven't already. There are many awesome and geeky minds in there always willing to help out!

Cheers,
Stuart