Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roberrol
Community Participant

UI Question - Hover Color

Jump to solution

Hello,

At Le Moyne, we are developing and testing branding options in Canvas. One thing that has been frustrating is the color gradient from the body colors to the hover color, which appears to be automatically adjusted. For example, we want to use a deeper green (195F3F); however, the hover color (floating over a Discussion title) looks quite different (like 3CEB10). The greens just don't match our branding scheme (image hunter green against toothpaste green). Our questions: 1. How is the hover color determined? 2. Where in the Theme Editor can we change the hover color? And, 3. does any specific documentation exist describing each Theme field and what it specifically changes in the Theme (it is difficult to determine the exact matches with a lot of trial and error).

Thanks,

Royce at Le Moyne College

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kbarnes
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Royce,

The highlight/hover color is determined by the primary brand color that you select in the Theme Editor. Unfortunately, if the color you select is dark, the highlight/hover color doesn't always look so great. Our UI team is aware of this issue and they are filing a bug for this. In the meantime, one option is to select a lighter color as your primary color in the Theme Editor.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi roberrol​...

I've played around with the interface in the new UI quite a bit, and from what I can tell, there is no option to set a "hover" color.  To be honest, I hadn't really even thought that it needed changing.  We are not implementing the new UI for quite a while yet, but I've tried branding our Canvas "beta" instance to match our Technical College's colors we have on our .edu website.

After reading through your question again, would it be possible for you to share a screen shot with us so that we can see exactly where you are referring to?  I think seeing an example would help determine if changing the "hover" color was even possible via the current user interface for theme branding.

roberrol
Community Participant

Chris,

Thanks for your insight. Here is a screenshot. The Primary Color is the only color changed (004000) and the hover is a result of that.  Pretty green, eh?

Any advice?

RLR

127621_pastedImage_0.png

Hi roberrol​...

I'm not sure what to tell you.  I spent a little time in our "test" environment of Canvas trying out different colors, and each time, it gave me a lighter shade of the color in the "Discussions" area of my course.  I'm going to share your message with a couple folks from Instructure to see if they might be able to chime in here and help answer your question.  Hopefully you'll be hearing from one or both of them soon.

kbarnes
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Royce,

The highlight/hover color is determined by the primary brand color that you select in the Theme Editor. Unfortunately, if the color you select is dark, the highlight/hover color doesn't always look so great. Our UI team is aware of this issue and they are filing a bug for this. In the meantime, one option is to select a lighter color as your primary color in the Theme Editor.

View solution in original post