cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taplinj
Community Participant

UPDATED: "login_id" doesn't always change via SIS CSV file import

I posted this originally asking if it was possible to change a login id using the SIS CSV file import process because I had a login id for an existing user that was not updating.  However, I tested against another record after posting my question and discovered that other user accounts will update if you put a new login id in the CSV file that is imported.

This discovery causes me to change my question:

Are there known scenarios where the login id won't change to a new value when importing a record via a CSV file (example at bottom of this email).  Please note that if I enter in a different first or last name or a new email address, those will update on this particular record - but the login id does not.

user_id,login_id,password,first_name,last_name,email,status

123456,ChangeLoginToThis,,Joe,Smith,SmithJoe@ourdomain.edu,active

I have tried numerous other login ids (in case there was something invalid about the one I'm testing), and none of them change for this particular user.  If there is one, I am guessing there are others, so I want to find out the reason so we know whether to introduce a manual step into our name change workflow or if there is another route we need to go.

Thank you in advance!

Tags (1)
11 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@taplinj ​, because of the technical nature of this question I'm going to share it with the Canvas Developers​ group in the Community. They are the ones that work with this side of Canvas and should hopefully be able to help! In addition, you might consider joining the Developers group and checking out some of their other resources/information!

Hope this helps!

taplinj
Community Participant

Thank you!  Please note that I just updated my question because I found out more information and it changed the nature of the problem slightly.

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@taplinj , I apologize that your question has been sitting out here for so long without a response--but it appears you have the Community stumped! Were you able to devise a solution independently, and if you were, would you take a moment to let us know how you accomplished this? In the meantime, I'm going to re-share your question with the Canvas Developers​ and add the Canvas Admins​ to the mix.

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

It's a month later--and the Community remains stumped!  @taplinj ​, have you figured this one out? Smiley Happy

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Here we are, another month later,  @taplinj ! Have you made any progress in solving this mystery?

taplinj
Community Participant

I have not resolved the problem.  I am planning to rebuild the entire Canvas integration by Summer and will, at that time, look at this problem again.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @taplinj ‌...

Since there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic for over two months, I am going to go ahead and mark it as "Assumed Answered"...knowing that, as you've indicated, you're going to rebuild by Summer and look at this issue again.  Marking this question as "Assumed Answered" won't prevent you or others from adding additional comments and/or replies to this topic.  I hope this is okay with you, Jay.

taplinj
Community Participant

Feel free to close, but it isn't solved by any means. I haven't been able to look at it again, but I think it might be good to make a note that this isn't resolved so that others aren't under the impression there is a solution available for the problem.

Thank you,

Jay Taplin

Manager of Application Development and Administration

Husson University

=======================

eMail: taplinj@husson.edu

(o): 207.941.7691

(c): 207.478.1588

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @taplinj ‌...

Thanks for your reply.  We can keep this topic open...no worries there.  I removed the "Assumed Answered" label so that people know it's still an unresolved issue for you.  Please keep us posted!