URLs going crazy?

Jump to solution
esicken
Community Member

Hello friends - 

I have one course where whenever someone goes to link to a document from their course files, it gets changed out to something like this:

https://ivylearn.ivytech.edu/api/v1/canvadoc_session?blob=%7B%22moderated_grading_whitelist%22:null,...

One of my coworkers had it happen to her also. She uploaded a fresh version of the document, went to the Rich Text Editor, selected the text to link to the file, selected the File from the righthand menu, and then saved the page. And then it turned into that link and clicking on it gives that tiny little UNAUTHORIZED error. 

Any idea what might be causing that?

Thanks!

1 Solution
cpadavano
Community Contributor

One of my Instructional Designers has found the main process that created the URL and it was able to be replicated:

1) Create/edit announcement or page. I have done it twice in announcements and once in a page.
2) Upload new DOCX file using the Files tab in the dynamic menu and +upload new file.
3) Type and highlight some words in editing box.
4) Click the newly uploaded DOCX file in the Files tab to create the link on the highlighted words.

**Guessing it was Microsoft files since I have seen this with a PPT/PPTX file too**

This was the reply from Canvas Support:

Canvas wrote back - TL;DR: either upload the file, save, and then link it, or upload it to the files area first. They are investigating the problem and will let us know when it’s fixed.

Our engineers are aware of this behavior and are currently looking into this. To work around this you can first add the file the course files tab and then try to link from the Content Selector or you can upload the new file to the content selector and then save the page and then you can go in and create a hyperlink from the existing file. You will be notified through this case as soon as an update becomes available from our engineers.

Hopefully a fix comes up soon! Until then, be careful of your files links. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post