cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeanette_coeull
Community Member

Unable to add comments on a .odt file

Jump to solution

Some students are submitting assignments with a .odt file extension, but Crocodoc doesn't let me add any comments or annotate the work.  I can view the assignment, but can't leave comments or feedback on the work.  Any ideas?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @jeanette_coeull  Welcome to the Canvas Community! The Open Office, or .odt, file type is not supported by Crocodoc in SpeedGrader, so you won't be able to annotate those submissions. For more information on what file types are supported, please refer to How do I use Crocodoc in Canvas assignments as an instructor? The supported file types are .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx, and pdf.

I recommend that you design your assignments that are set for online submissions of file uploads so as to restrict the permissible file type(s); that way, students won't be able to upload any files that are not of the type you designate. You can read more about that in How do I create an online assignment? 

Generally speaking, documents created with OpenOffice create issues that can easily be remedied by switching to a different free program or in a pinch, having students download a conversion program that would render the .odt output as PDF. When my students were using OpenOffice to create their documents, I encouraged them to switch to Google Docs and save their work as a PDF. If they were not able to use Google Docs, I'd direct them to find the aforementioned resources that would allow them to convert their .odt files to PDF. I wouldn't recommend converting the .odt output to .doc or .docx, because those submissions were sometimes problematic and weren't always compatible with Crocodoc or Turnitin.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @jeanette_coeull  Welcome to the Canvas Community! The Open Office, or .odt, file type is not supported by Crocodoc in SpeedGrader, so you won't be able to annotate those submissions. For more information on what file types are supported, please refer to How do I use Crocodoc in Canvas assignments as an instructor? The supported file types are .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx, and pdf.

I recommend that you design your assignments that are set for online submissions of file uploads so as to restrict the permissible file type(s); that way, students won't be able to upload any files that are not of the type you designate. You can read more about that in How do I create an online assignment? 

Generally speaking, documents created with OpenOffice create issues that can easily be remedied by switching to a different free program or in a pinch, having students download a conversion program that would render the .odt output as PDF. When my students were using OpenOffice to create their documents, I encouraged them to switch to Google Docs and save their work as a PDF. If they were not able to use Google Docs, I'd direct them to find the aforementioned resources that would allow them to convert their .odt files to PDF. I wouldn't recommend converting the .odt output to .doc or .docx, because those submissions were sometimes problematic and weren't always compatible with Crocodoc or Turnitin.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Thank you!  Much appreciated.

You're welcome,  @jeanette_coeull !