cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wilsong
Community Participant

Unable to edit course level grading scheme

While I saw in the video about grading schemes that one should be able to edit them (pencil icon), there is no option for a faculty member to do so in any of their courses.  The delete/remove icon is available, but the teacher really just wants to edit.  Is the reason they can't due to the fact that grades have already been assigned with this grading scheme?  (Even though the video indicated one could even delete a grading scheme and any grades that used it would still be OK).

I've attached a screenshot of the scheme the teacher is using... he reports he has been able to edit in the past.  Thank you for any advice you can offer...

Tags (1)
8 Replies
James
Community Champion

wilsong​,

Is per-chance the grading scheme an account grading scheme (set up at the account level) rather than a course-level grading scheme? You can check by going to the Admin page for your site and clicking on Grading.

Even if it's not (and it's a bug), what the instructor can do is add a new grading scheme that matches what they want to use and then select that one instead of the one that they can't edit.

jazemlya
Community Contributor

I think James is on to the likely scenario.  You cannot edit account level grading schemes unless you have proper access.  It makes sense that you cannot edit a grading scheme in your course because the account grading scheme changes would affect not only your course but any other course that uses that grading scheme.

So you essentially have to create a grading scheme first before you can edit.  Or as James said access the grading scheme at the account level in order to edit it.

wilsong
Community Participant

Hi James, et. al.,

This is only a course level grading scheme.  I have no grading schemes set up at the account level (I did double check since there are two admins here).  It does make sense that since there were grades associated with the original grading scheme, that it wouldn't allow edits.  It does seem a bit odd, though, that one can fully delete the original (after adding a new grading scheme), go back to the assignments that used the original, change the selected grading scheme and, well, the old one still shows up (even though I deleted it - just to test things - in our Test environment).

I sent the teacher screenshots of what they can do and basically told them while they could delete the old scheme, to probably just leave it and add the new scheme and use it for new assignments.

Thank you all for helping think it through and bounce ideas off you!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Something else that I'd recommend is reporting this to Canvas Support. If there's a bug they need to know about it and if it's not then they would be able to help you fix it and let you know what went wrong! - How do I get help with Canvas?

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

wilsong​, can you take a moment to update the Community on the results of your investigation with Canvas Support?

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

wilsong​, since we haven't heard from you, we're marking this question as "Assumed Answered." The discussion remains open for participation, so if you have a moment to circle back and let us know how you resolved this issue, the Community would be much obliged. Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

wilsong

I hope you're still getting notifications on this thread!
This issue has shown up again, but as a feature idea this time.  You may want to follow the conversation at

Actually, I cannot even edit a grade scheme I created 30 minutes ago for a single course (as a course TA), even if I dissociate it from any assignment. Nor can I copy it and create a new one; I have to create a new one from scratch. Editing and copying functionality would help!