cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
learym1

Unconcluded Course

Jump to solution

Greetings, can someone tell me what actually happens in an concluded and Unconcluded course? After the course is concluded it looks like the grades are still in the course but the people "students" are removed.  Anyone have clarification on what these processes do, I would appreciate.

Mark

1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@learym1 ​, after the course is concluded the students are left in the course. The only way to remove them would be to either manually delete them or set something up in your API programming that would remove students at the end of the semester.

This Canvas Admin guide -How do I conclude a course at the end of a term? - states that, "Concluding a course means that all users in the course will have read-only access to the course. If your institution uses software that automatically concludes enrollments, you do not have to manually end your course since the end date of the course will automatically conclude the course on your behalf."

Personally I would not recommend removing students when you conclude a course because you want to retain their information so faculty can refer back to it. If you remove the student then their submissions and grades go away as well. Everything is still there, but wouldn't show back up unless you re-added the students.

Unconcluding normally takes place if you want to make the course active again for the students - How do I unconclude a course in an account? - this means that the course is open and students could submit assignments, post to discussions, etc.. So basically it just reverts the course back to a live and normally functionally course.

Does this help?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@learym1 ​, after the course is concluded the students are left in the course. The only way to remove them would be to either manually delete them or set something up in your API programming that would remove students at the end of the semester.

This Canvas Admin guide -How do I conclude a course at the end of a term? - states that, "Concluding a course means that all users in the course will have read-only access to the course. If your institution uses software that automatically concludes enrollments, you do not have to manually end your course since the end date of the course will automatically conclude the course on your behalf."

Personally I would not recommend removing students when you conclude a course because you want to retain their information so faculty can refer back to it. If you remove the student then their submissions and grades go away as well. Everything is still there, but wouldn't show back up unless you re-added the students.

Unconcluding normally takes place if you want to make the course active again for the students - How do I unconclude a course in an account? - this means that the course is open and students could submit assignments, post to discussions, etc.. So basically it just reverts the course back to a live and normally functionally course.

Does this help?