cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ingrid_abraham
Community Member

Undeleting Assignments

Jump to solution

I am trying to restore some assignments which I accidentally deleted earlier today.

I tried https://xxxxxxxx.instructure.com/courses/xxxxxx/undelete and I can see a list of items deleted up until yesterday, but not today. I am also a course admin, but I don't know if I have the relevant admin rights which will allow me to restore the assignments.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi  @ingrid_abraham 
Before you decide how to proceed, you should also consider whether the deleted assignment had student submissions, grades, feedback etc. The undelete function, if you can get it to work, will bring back the original assignment and any student submissions and instructor feedback should also be returned.  @bneporadny makes a good suggestion of copying the assignment from beta or test, however this will give you a new copy of the assignment rather than returning the original one so you won't get your student submissions back.

If there are submissions and feedback that have been lost, I recommend logging a support ticket with Instructure to ask why undelete isn't finding the assignment.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
bneporadny
Community Champion

Hi Ingrid,

I'm not sure why you are not able to see items deleted today when you go to the #undelete‌ section of the course as I haven't seen that before.

Another way to get items back that were deleted is to go over to your #beta or #test‌ Canvas environment and export the course from there and then import just the assignment you're looking for back into the course in your production environment. 

Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Hi  @ingrid_abraham 
Before you decide how to proceed, you should also consider whether the deleted assignment had student submissions, grades, feedback etc. The undelete function, if you can get it to work, will bring back the original assignment and any student submissions and instructor feedback should also be returned.  @bneporadny makes a good suggestion of copying the assignment from beta or test, however this will give you a new copy of the assignment rather than returning the original one so you won't get your student submissions back.

If there are submissions and feedback that have been lost, I recommend logging a support ticket with Instructure to ask why undelete isn't finding the assignment.

Hi Brian,

Thank you so much for your help. My assignments are now back in their rightful place and my stress levels have returned to normal.

Your support is much-appreciated.

Thanks Steve,

Fortunately, we are still in the initial phases of course building so none of our modules or related content have been published.

Good to know for future reference though.